From: owner-linrad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-linrad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of w3sz
Sent: 08 February 2003 07:32
To: linrad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linrad] Great Book

Hello, All!

Well I got another GREAT book in the mail today that might be of
interest to those of you building analog front ends for Linrad.

It is the ARRL's "Experimental Methonds in RF Design", by Wes Hayward,
W7ZOI; Rick Campbell, KK7B; and Bob Larkin, W7PUA.

It has 12 Chapters, titled:
Getting Started
Amplifier Design Basics

Filters and Impedance Matching Circuits
Oscillators and Frequency Synthesis
Mixers and Frequency Multipliers
Transmitters and Receivers
Measurement Equipment
Direct Conversion Receivers
Phasing Receivers and Transmitters
DSP Components
DSP Applications in Communications
Field Operation, Portable Gear, and Integrated Stations

There is also a CD ROM

I am currently reading the chapter on mixers.

It has loads of helpful information including sentences like:

"Mini-Circuits +7dBm mixers are specifed for an input 1 dB compression power
of +1 esBm.  A rule of thumb states that the input intercept of a diode
mixer is 10 to 15 dB above P(-1dB), placing IIP3 at +11 to +16 dBm.  These
values are inline with our measurements for the TUF-1 and SBL-1".

and

"Most mixer manufacturers also build mixers specified for LO power of +17
dBm.  These mixers usually use 2 series diodes in each leg of an otherwise
conventional ring.  Once example, the TUF-1H, has a +14 dBM value for
P(-1db), placing IIP3 at +24 dBm or higher".

It also discusses the importance of proper termination at all frequencies,
gives examples, suitable amplifiers, references, etc...

The oscillator chapter has a section on "Noise in Amplifiers":, with
subheadings of "The Effects of Phase Noise", and "Designing Quiet
Oscillators".  They use the K7HFD oscillator as an example of a low phase
noise high power amplifier (+17 dBm at 10 MHz).  At 10 KHz from carrier this
has -156 dBc/Hz noise.

The section on Direct Conversion Receivers gives a very good discussion of
the practical difficulties of building one at VHF frequencies,with an
extensive discussion of the cures for and consequences of LO leakage, for
example.

The Section on DSP is outstanding as well.

The book can be purchased via the ARRL website.

http://www.arrl.org

73,

Roger
W3SZ