Re: Svga 143 library linkage

You have a problem outside of the SVGA library, you are missing gcc the
compiler.  I hope someone with more redhat experience can jump in here,
but you need to add gcc and the development rpms.

I don't know if there is an easy way to add the dev packages.  Look for a
package tool and add C/C++ tools.

Would some of you be interested in a Knoppix (http://www.knoppix.org/) or
Knoppix like CD that has linrad installed?  Knoppix is a CD that is fully
self contained so you just boot the computer off of the CD and by default
loads up Xwindows and KDE or Gnome and is a fully working linux machine
that never uses your HD.  I could probably modify the CD so X is not
started (or even included) but Linrad is started instead.

Leif, The only think I don't know is does linrad only compile in support
for your CPU or does it make a binary that will detect your CPU and run
the best code for your machine.

                                                        Later, JOSH

On Sun, 19 Jan 2003 amcgarve@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> I know just enough Linux to be dangerous.  I am attempting to install
linrad
> Linux using Red Hat 7.3. The problem appears to be with the vgalib-1.4.3
> installation. I have tried to install it strictly following Leif's
instructions
> on the website and also from an RPM distribution.  I am logged on as
root all
> the time.
> I am NOT able to run ./configure for Linrad.
>
> Here is my progress so far:
>

> 1.  When I try to execute ./configure I get the following error :
>
>       [root@xxxxxxxxx  lir]#  ./configure
>       Checking for gcc¡­..No
>       Checking for cc ¡­¡­NO
>       Configure: Error: No acceptable cc
found in $PATH

> 2.  When I look in the configure.in file I see:
>
> AC_CHECK_HEADER (vgagl.h, AC_MSG_ERROR ( Must have svgalib Package
Installed
> compile vgagl.h missing!!!)
>

> I read the letter posted on Friday 3 Jan 2003  titled  Re: [linrad]
linrad
> install help Red Hat
>       and attempted to do what was outlined in the letter.
>

> 3.  When I type   locate libvga.so     I get:
>
> /usr/lib/libvga.so.1
>
> 4.  When I typed     ls ¨Cl  /usr/lib/libvga.so*   I get  :
>
> lrwxrwxrwx     1 root      root         /usr/lib/libvga.so.1
> ¡ú  /usr/local/lib/libvga.so.1.4.3
>

> 5.  So  I typed :        /sbin/ldconfig ¨C v
>       I changed  something but I don¡¯t know what!!
>
> 6.   I again typed        ls ¨Cl  /usr/lib/libvga.so*
>  And this time I got :
>
>       /usr/lib/libvga.so*  :  No such file or directory
>
> I think I took  one step backwards in this process!
> Any ideas on how I can fix this?
>
> Thanks   Anthony

LINRADDARNIL