[Linrad] Re: Linrad & QS1R

On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 11:00:08 +0000 (GMT)
Werner Hlawatschek <dl2ja@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Is there any plan to merge in future LinRad and the QS1R
> receiver? Both projects are open source, what would be the
> preconditions to realize this?
>
> > 73 Werner, DL2JA

Hello Werner,

QS1R is licensed open source (GPL) while Linrad is free software.
I will under no circumstances add any kind of restriction
to the free usage for anyone of Linrad or its source code
for any purpose. (I think the way the noise blanker works
is fundamentally different from what one can find in any other
radio. It will be possible to implement similar routines
more efficiently in conventional transceivers and nobody
should hesitate because of a risk to be forced to make his own
code public.)

As I understand it I can not incorporate any of the QS1R
code without restricting the free usage of Linrad or parts
of it.

I would be happy to support QS1R in Linrad in a similar way
to how Perseus is supported. Linrad users who want to use
the Perseus HF receiver have to download perseususb.dll and
the firmware files for the FPGA from the official Perseus
site and copy them into their Linrad directory.

Another thing is that I know very little about QS1R because
there is next to nothing at its home page. Just "For more
information on the QS1R VERB please subscribe to the QS1R
mailing list...." From what I see in the archives, this
would be too inefficient in my taste.