[Linrad] system gain

Good morning,

I have been watching the email thread on setting optimum gain and other
settings for the LINRAD program. I have used the program, rather
casually, for two years or so to look at weak signals on the 144 mhz IF
outputs from my microwave transverters. I put a gain stage ahead of my
SDR-14's direct input and that stage measures at 0.9 dB nf and 18 dB
gain or so at 144 mhz.

When I remove this amplifier from the system, the noise floor on the
main spectrum display on LINRAD drops 8 dB. I read in the emails that it
should drop 15 dB, if I understand things correctly. I am looking at
about a 160-170 Khz slice of the spectrum around 144.1 Mhz,

I do note that the visual display on Linrad is not as sensitive as my
receiver on a splitter from the same IF.

My question is,  "Where should I look next to either find the problem or
adjust the LINRAD parameters to bring the LINRAD system sensitivity up
to standard?"

I continue to read the web page and previous emails from VK2DU on setup.
  Nothing I have tried seems to be working. I would list all my settings
here, but perhaps that would be premature.

Any advice to be had out there?

Thanks,

Dave, K4TO