Re: [linrad] users_extra

Hi, Bob,

Thanks for the email.  I look forward to hearing of your experiences with
the Delta 44 under Linux [and with the SDR 1000!]!

I don't think I explained my 'problem' very well.

I can change the card sensitivity, it but not on the fly.

What is going on is a software 'problem' or 'feature'.  Clicking on a
strong signal seems to modify how Linrad processes it, and it 'blows up'.
And this is a signal that is not even quite at 50% of the peak signal
based on the dynamic range of 0-120 dB.  Clicking again so that the signal
is outside the baseband passband returns things to normal.  This just
shouldn't be.  It means that as you are tuning across the band you have to
[for signal strength variations that would be easily handled in a 'normal'
receiver] constantly be throwing in attenuators or playing with soundcard
parameters, or whatever.  Its kind of like having to stop the car and get
out and throw a switch on the front bumper every time you want to go from
making righthand turns to making lefthand turns.  Somewhat inconvenient.

This didn't used to happen, and I don't know what caused it to start
occurring.  I suspect that Leif or someone who has recently been playing
with Linrad has the answer at his fingertips.  If I didn't have the
contests this weekend to get ready for, I'd spend a few hours playing and
trying to figure it out.  But I can live with it for the EME contest [no
60 dB signals there], and time is of the essence, so I am looking for a
'quick fix'.  If none is available, I'll operate as is as worry about it
later.  I don't want to do anything drastic that will potentially take
hours for me to undo if something goes awry [e.g. reinstall / update OSS
or the kernel].

I have changed computers, Linux installation and updates [still RHL 8.0
but on a new machine, with new install of course, and different update
history], Linrad version and parameters, and RF hardware between when
things worked without this glitch and now, so it is hard for me to
pinpoint what 'difference' in my situation caused it.  ;)

But I think it is a Linrad parameter issue most likely, second most likely
something new in the Linrad code, third most likely something in my Linux
OSS / soundcard environment.

Thanks again, and

73,

Roger W3SZ