Re: Is the 2.6.9 kernel the villian? WAS Re: [linrad] Which distros are free?

Nice to hear from you again and thanks for the kind words.

I'm not expert in Linux but I do love both Linrad and *nix, so I would do
my best.

At 09:38 05/01/09 -0500, you wrote:
>QUESTION ONE.  Has anyone out there gotten svgalib 1.9.19 and Linrad to
>run on one of the newest [released in the past few weeks] 2.6.9 or 2.6 10
>kernels with ANY of the different distros?  Or is there something that
>prevents svgalib 1.9.19 from working properly with the newest kernels? I
>think Dominique got things to work, but I believe he was using svgalib 1.4
>3 and not 1.9.19 with Mandrake 10.
>
>If you got svgalib 1.9.19 to work correctly with the newest 'stable' and
>'official' kernel of any distro, if it required ANY tweaking, insmods, etc
>could you post those to the list?

OK, I will upgrade kernel 2.4.20 to 2.6.9 and install svgalib 1.9.19 by different
gcc versions I have here, 2.95, 3.2, 3.3 and 3.4 and see what happens.
I could be wrong in my previous kernel upgrade of 2.6.10 which source was
obtained from kernel.org but this time I will get the source with Debian patches
from debian.org. (They doesn't provide 2.6.10 yet)
I forgot whether I tried or not gcc 2.95 in kernel 2.6.10 for svgalib 1.9.19.

I need some time as I'm still busy with the noise spectrum measurement.
I understand your problem, be patient.

>I a downloading Debian per BDale's suggestion, and So I have another
>question, that I am sure proves once again that I am a Linux know-nothing

Wow! You are challenging to Debian!
I'm sure it will be a bit difficult first but you'll be pleased after success
and you won't go for any other distros.

>QUESTION TWO.  This is actually two related questions.  If I download
>Debian 3.0 rev 4, which I am doing, and install it with the new kernels so
>that it recognizes and installs my hardware [the onboard Intel Extreme
>Graphics video and the integrated network are what the old distros don't
>recognize], and I then somehow change it back to an older kernel such as
>2.4 since Kohjin indicated that 2.4  would work with svgalib, will it
>still recognize my new hardware on bootup and keep the configuration and
>drivers of the video and network that were already installed?

First, please remember gcc version I got a success was 2.95 and failed with
gcc 3.2, 3.3 and 3.4. I think I can confirm this after my kernel upgrade.
I think there will be a possibility of not_recognize_your_hardware problem
if you go back to older kernel.
All of "drivers of the video and network" are kernel version dependent
though "the configuration" (text file) can be used, not definite though.

>Also, do a
>whole host of applications such as gcc and many others that came with the
>new distro and the new kernel refuse to work or have problems when the
>kernel version is changed to an older version?

Nop, it does work, no problem.

>I know that OSS will not
>work when I change kernel versions, but am hoping that MAYBE the newest
>incarnation of ALSA will actually work properly with my Delta 44, onboard
>AC97 audio, and svgalib and Linrad and so I won't have THAT problem as
>long as ALSA doesn't mind kernel version changes...

I don' know of the present ALSA status but I would recommend you to stick
with OSS.
You are right, OSS doesn't work in changed kernel but very easy to re-install
the same OSS, just uninstall OSS and reinstall it and then OSS will be happy.
You don't need to restart the PC! It looks you forget that!

>QUESTION THREE.  If it is possible to keep the [new] hardware recognition
>by the OS and XWindows intact and have Linux continue to function when
>turning the kernel version back in time,  maybe I should just download an
>old 2.4 version kernel for Fedora and try it with Fedora Core 3, which I
>already have installed and working great for everything EXCEPT svgalib,
>since Fedora Core 3 is REALLY nice and installed with **NO**  hassles but
>it just has the svgalib problem.  Would there be problems with that?

I'm afraid 2.4 Fedora kernel doesn't accept your hardware.
Have you ever tried gcc 2.95 for svgalib?
If not, try it first.
You can have several gcc versions if you like, here is mine;
cosmos:/rose-F# ls -l /usr/bin/gcc*
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           11 2005-01-04 19:14 /usr/bin/gcc ->
gcc.wrapper
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        74088 2003-10-15 16:23 /usr/bin/gcc-2.95
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        80716 2003-08-27 07:13 /usr/bin/gcc-3.2
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        84748 2003-10-31 07:17 /usr/bin/gcc-3.3
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        84876 2004-12-19 11:18 /usr/bin/gcc-3.4
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            8 2005-01-05 18:00
/usr/bin/gcc.real -> gcc-2.95
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         2392 2004-12-31 02:24 /usr/bin/gcc.wrapper
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           10 2005-01-05 18:01 /usr/bin/gccbug
-> gccbug-3.4
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        15886 2003-08-27 05:50 /usr/bin/gccbug-3.2
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        15986 2003-10-31 07:10 /usr/bin/gccbug-3.3
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        16197 2004-12-19 11:10 /usr/bin/gccbug-3.4
Humm...I think I better have only 2.95 and 3.4 . . . :-)

Any version of Gcc source can be obtained and compiled but it's not easy task.
I wonder if Fedora supports for older gcc version, RPM base or some...?
In other words, can you download the already_compiled gcc?
(I'm completely innocent in Fedora, sorry :-)

>and Good Linradding to everyone,

Same to you and all others,

Kohjin

LINRADDARNIL