FW: console switching problem (solved!) (Kohjin Yamada Oct 13 2002)

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-linrad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-linrad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Kohjin Yamada
Sent: Sunday, October 13, 2002 6:10 AM
To: linrad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linrad] console switching problem (solved!)

Here is good news,

The problem was solved by replacing a video card  from Matrox Millennium G400
to NVIDIA GeForce2 MX.
It runs same as Roger wrote!!!
Oh well, I didn't realize that Linrad runs in such a way, great!

Now, thanks to the todays Internet I have reached to "Linux Hardware
Compatibility HOWTO".
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO/video.html
You can see section 6.4. SVGALIB (graphics for console) where only a few
card listed
while a bunch of boards supported in XFree86.
I've been thinking for long time I would ask to Leif someday whether Leif
has any plan of
implementation of XFree86 so that we can take advantage of state of art Xwindows.

By the way, I have learned that svgalib's allocated virtual console number
depends on
from where Linrad launched.
In my one of the case for example, a virtual console #7 was assigned for a
Xserver remote
login made by a WinXP sitting besides.
In other words a display of Linrad is at virtual console #7 in Linux box
not in WinXP, funny!

Thanks to all,

Now next for RHL 8.0, stay tuned.

Kohjin - JR1EDE

Kohjin JR1EDE wrote:
>Different video card might produce different result.
>Mine is Matrox Millennium G400 32MB.

LINRADDARNIL