Re: [linrad] linrad install help Red Hat 7.2

I have a debian machine so this may be a bit different, but will give you
some ideas:

josh@xxxxxxxxx:~$ locate libvga.so
/usr/lib/libc5-compat/libvga.so.1
/usr/lib/libc5-compat/libvga.so.1.4.3
/usr/lib/libvga.so
/usr/lib/libvga.so.1
/usr/lib/libvga.so.1.4.3

josh@xxxxxxxxx:~$ ls -l /usr/lib/libvga.so*
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           15 Dec  4 13:07 /usr/lib/libvga.so
-> libvga.so.1.4.3
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           15 Dec  4 13:07
/usr/lib/libvga.so.1 -> libvga.so.1.4.3
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root       357956 Dec  1 15:33
/usr/lib/libvga.so.1.4.3

my libvga.so.1 is just a link to the actual library.  You might try
running /sbin/ldconfig to make run-time link bindings.  (see man ldconfig)

Also if you have libvga, but it is not in a path listed in /etc/ld.so.conf
linrad will not find it.  A good test is: ldd ./linrad (inside the lir
directory)  All of 5 libraries should have valid links:

root@xxxxxxxxx:~/src/RADIO/lir# ldd ./linrad
        libvga.so.1 => /usr/lib/libvga.so.1 (0x40022000)
        libvgagl.so.1 => /usr/lib/libvgagl.so.1 (0x40084000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x40092000)
        libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0x401a2000)

As for the modem, if it is a serial modem, they it will be ttyS0 (com1) or
ttyS1 (com2).  I like wvdial as my modem program.  It is nice and simple,
will auto find your modem, and is easy to use.

							Later, JOSH

On Fri, 3 Jan 2003, Conrad G0RUZ wrote:

> I am attempting to install linrad on 2 different machines which have had
> Linux installed using Red Hat 7.2. The problem appears to be with the
> vgalib-1.4.3 installation. I have tried to install it strictly following
> Leif's instructions on the website and also from an RPM distribution.
> Everything appears to be ok but in both cases libvga.so.1 is not being
> produced at all. I have tried updatedb and then locate and the file does not
> exist. I am able to run ./configure for Linrad and now also make. However
> when I try to execute ./linrad I get the following error :
>
> ./linrad: error while loading shared libraries: libvga.so.1: cannot open
> shared object file: No such file or directory.
>
> I am logged on as root all the time. My 3 previous installations using red
> hat 7.0 and older versions of linrad and svgalib did not have any of these
> problems.
>
> I also need some help with configuring my external modem in Linux, this is
> not important for now and is merely an exercise in learning a little more
> about the Xwindows environment, but if anyone has knowledge of this I would
> like to know. Then I can move this it off this group.
>
> Happy New Year
>
> Conrad G0RUZ
>
> PS One of the machines is an Athlon 850 and one is a PIII 450, I am trying
> to see what the smallest configuration is that will work with the current
> version of Linrad and a Delta 44, mainly for Jim UWA's benefit :-)

LINRADDARNIL