56Kb phone modem PCI card?

Hi,

Before I go reading a bunch of "self documeted" source code,
to figure this out, does anyone here know anything about the hardware
found on your typical 56Kb phone modem PCI card?  A phone modem has
some pretty nice hardware on it.  An ADC and a DSP.  Most are flash
programable too.  It may also be possable to install two modems
in a PC

http://www.digitalaudio.dk/technical_papers/Tradeoff%20of%20192%20kHz.PDF

> It summarizes;
> On the other hand the study of the technical specification of the
> AK5394A
> indicates that the S/N ratio decreases at higher sample rates as a
> result of
> the expansion of the frequency band. Actually the S/N decreases by
> more than
> 3 dB that one would expect as a result of a doubling of the sample
> rate from
> 96 kHz to 192 kHz.
>
> So, what?
>
> Kohjin - JR1EDE
>
> At 12:18 02/11/20 +0000, toki wrote:
> >Hi OM.
> >
> >> Thanks to Pete, KC1HR I now know that there is an ADC
> >> chip CS5396 from (http://www.cirrus.com).
> >>
> >> This is a 24 bit 96kHz stereo AD converter and there
> >> is an evaluation board for it.
> >>
> >> The CS5396 is 20dB better than the Delta 44!!
> >
> >What does make you so happy ?
> >Almost every companies that develop ADC device have evaluation board
> >for their products.
> >
> >For example;
> >You can get information about evaluation board of the most advanced
> >AD converter from;
> >
> >     http://www.asahi-kasei.co.jp/akm/
> >
> >AK5394A is a 24 bit 192kHz stereo AD converter with s/n 123db.
> >The evaluation board also has printer, coax, and optic interfaces
> like
> >cirrus.
> >I don't believe the cirrus can develop better analog device than the
> akm.
> >
> >Anyway, problem is always the cost.

=====
Chris Albertson