[Linrad] Re: Linrad-02.53

On Nov 9, 9:43 am, Leif Asbrink <l...@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I will have to get Ubuntu, install it and see what to do about
> this problem. In the meantime, avoid the latest Ubuntu gcc.
>
> 73
>
> Leif

It's worse than that, I spent a few hours this afternoon with the
debugger trying to pin down a buffer overflow with Ubuntu 8.10 and gcc
4.3.2. Firstly i updated the Makefile to remove the -Werror from the
gcc options, which allowed xlinrad to compile, after that I got
persistent buffer overflow errors when xlinrad tried to enumerate the
alsa configuration. linrad crashes consistently in lsetad.c:148 (the
1st sprintf() call). Exactly why this is the case eludes me, the
debugger showed me the state of alsa_dev_hw_pcm_name  as "
\000\000\000\000\000\000\000\000" immediately prior to the call, and
the values of dev and idx as 0, which suggests that the sprintf()
should only be storing 7 bytes into this array (including the null
terminator).

After installing the gcc-3.4 package and rebuilding (with LCC =
gcc-3.4 in the Makefile), alsa is enumerated correctly. I still get
fairly common "[1116] thread rx_adinput: short readi" errors. I have
an Asus eeepc-1000H, which has an Intel HDA (Realtek ALC269) sound
device.

Here is a copy of my soundboard_rx_init.log, if that's any use:

SETUP OF A/D and D/A for NATIVE ALSA ( ALSA library version: 1.0.17a )
CURRENT A/D and D/A SET UP FOR RX:

->INPUT:  soundcard/device    = HDA Intel at 0xf7eb8000 irq 16 /
ALC269 Analog
(alsa-pcm-name= plughw:0,0 / alsa-device-seq-nmbr= 0 )
sample rate         = 48000
# input bytes       = 4 (32 bits)
RADIO INTERFACE     =
One Rx channel
/ I/Q
(ui.rx_input_mode=5 / ui.rx_rf_channels=1 /ui.rx_ad_channels=2)

->OUTPUT: soundcard/device    = HDA Intel at 0xf7eb8000 irq 16 /
ALC269 Analog
(alsa-pcm-name=plughw:0,0 / alsa-device-seq-nmbr=0 )
min da sample rate  = 44100
max da sample rate  = 192000
min da bytes        = 2
max da bytes        = 2
min da channels     = 2
max da channels     = 2
max dma rate        = 50

->SELECT SOUNDCARD/DEVICE FOR INPUT FROM FOLLOWING LIST:

-------------native -----------
 device
device       sample-rate  #channels  # bytes
seq-nmbr            soundcard-name / device-name             pcm-
name       min   max   min   max  min  max
-------- --------------------------------------------------
-----------   -----------  ---------  -------
     0    HDA Intel at 0xf7eb8000 irq 16 / ALC269 Analog    plughw:
0,0   44100/96000   2/2   2/4
Enter selected device-seq-nmbr >
User selected  0
Enter sample-rate              >
User selected  96000

->SELECT NUMBER OF INPUT BYTES: 2 (16bit) or 4 (32bit)
Enter number of input bytes    >
User selected  2

->SELECT RADIO INTERFACE:
1: One rx channel (normal audio)
2: One rx channel (I/Q)
3: Two rx channels (adaptive polarisation/phasing)
4: Two rx channels I/Q
Enter selected radio interface >
User selected  2

->SELECT SOUNDCARD/DEVICE FOR OUTPUT FROM FOLLOWING LIST:

-------------native -----------
 device
device       sample-rate  #channels  # bytes
seq-nmbr            soundcard-name / device-name             pcm-
name      min   max   min   max  min  max
     0    HDA Intel at 0xf7eb8000 irq 16 / ALC269 Analog    plughw:
0,0   44100/192000   2/2   2/4
Enter selected device-seq-nmbr >
User selected  0
Set max DMA rate in Hz (10-999)>