R: [Linrad] Obsolete

Hi Leif.

I think it is better to rearrange the main page of the site.

Every
now and happen to need that obsolete information.

Do not delete the pages but
leaves with links clear so as not to confuse the ideas to those who browse on
the site.

73 Ermanno / ik7ezn

com
>Data: 29/03/2009 17.12
>A: "linrad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
com>
>Ogg: [Linrad] Obsolete
>

>Hi All,
>
>The amount of obsolete information
on my site is growing and
>perhaps the time has come to delete old things about
Linrad
>that might create confusion for newcomers. I have very seldomly

>removed anything because of the way my own mind works.
>I may remember that
long ago I have seen something related
>to a problem that I suddenly face and
those times it was somewhere
>in a book I could usually find it again. Things
that were available
>10 years ago on the Internet are often not there any more
- and
>I fail to find any other site that has the same information.
>
>Far too
much information that is not relevant to newcomers is
>probably
counterproductive. Maybe it is time to remove everything
>related to old Linux
kernels and computers older than Pentium III?

>Presumably Pentium II and
older are used only by enthusiasts who
>know how to squeeze modern Linux into
them (Easy with e.g. Debian)
>so there would be no reason to have any
information about how to
>patch 2.2 kernels for 16 bit MMX and such things.
>

>Before I start to remove things permanently I would like to see
>some comments
here on the mailing lists about what you think I should
>not remove (out of
things relating to old softwares and old hardwares)
>There is even still SDR
code for MSDOS on my site.....

>I will have to get a new computer some day.
Currently I have problems
>with the Perseus HF receiver. I can run it well with
blanker and all
>at 2 MHz on my laptop that has Centrino Duo, but I can not
read or
>write files at 2 MHz on the laptop. The hard disk is too slow.
>
>The
stationary Pentium IV has no problems reading and writing at
>2 MHz, but I can
run Linrad with the blankers only if I do not
>use any windows for FFT1 and
FFT2 and yet cpu usage is 87%.
>To be able to place a stationary Quad Core
somewhere I would
>have to get rid of my Pentium MMX (and Pentium 1 which

>fits in the same cabinet.) Maybe it would be more clever to
>junk the Pentium
II under the assumption that things that work
>on Pentium MMX do not need a
check on the Pentium II?

>It is easy to become sentimental vs old hardware,
but with time
>it becomes impractical. Newcomers seem to use Ubuntu these days.

>What is the oldest generation hardware that can easily be used
>with Ubuntu?
Do you think it will be wise to junk anything
>older than that? Or are there
people outside EU and USA who still
>use things like Pentium MMX with old
softwares like Win 98 or