[Linrad] Re: Setting priorities in Windows

Dear Colleagues

Windows give to you an easy way to set up the priority level of any kind of
application, its very simple, you can select 6 different levels:

- LOW
- BELOW NORMAL
- NORMAL
- ABOVE NORMAL
- HIGH
- REALTIME

This is perfect for the people who want something more then Normal but less
than high, means ABOVE NORMAL will be perfect; at least this is the priority
I'm using.

I don't recommend use REAL TIME if you don't have a really power processor
likes Quad Core and at least 2GB RAM, you can select individual level of
priorities for each application running in your computer following the next
steps:

- I'm assuming running LINRAD under Windows and I have no one single
problem, I have no idea about Linux and I have no plans to use my limited
time in learning that, in the same way most of the people don't like Windows
I don't like Linrad and I don't plan to baste my time in horrible command
line routines with extreme complicate syntax, sorry for the Teachers and the
open source community.

One additional setup is AFINITY, I'm use this one to run LINRAD in one CORE
and MAP65 in other CORE, my computers are QUAD CORE 3GB and I always
configure separate CORES for Linrad and Map65, the remaining 2 CORES are
used by the system, and everything run with out mayor problems, follow this
instructions:

1. Start Linrad under Windows and select High priority or low, but select
something.
2. After Linrad is running click on the main waterfall were ever you what.
3. Minimize the Linrad Window and then right click on the task bar
4. Open Task Manager and click on the "Processes tab"
5. You will see listed all the application running in you PC, well search
for Linrad.exe and click right mouse over there.
6. Click on "Set Priority" and you will find 6 levels of priority; I
recommend use Above Normal or High.
7. If your computer have more than one Core like Duals or Quad you will see
a option "Set Affinity" and you can assign and specific process to one of
the CPU you have, with this option in a Dual Core computer I can assign one
core for Linrad and one for MAP65, in this way both programs run with out
producing any kind of interference with the other process in separate cores,
If you have Quad Cores better, the remains 2 Core will run the rest of your
windows box.

Under this configuration I already test the tandem LINRAD+MAP65 under the
next configuration:

Processors

CORE 2 DUO 2.4 GHZ
CORE 2 QUAD 2.4 GHz
CORE 2 DUO 3 GHz
CORE 2 QUAD 3 GHZ

OS
Windows XP SP3 32 bits with 2GB RAM
Windows Vista SP1 32 bits with 2GB RAM
Windows Vista SP1 64 bits with 4 GB RAM
Windows Server 2008 64 bits with 8GB RAM

AUDIO CARD
DELTA44 with Drivers for 32 bits and 64 bits (beta)

Using any kind of combination of processors and OS listed Linrad and Map65
runs with only one single problem, under 64 bits platform you see the mouse
pointer only when you move the mouse, for the rest runs perfect. In each
combination I test running Linrad and Map65 on the same computer for 24
hours non stop.

Windows is much flexible in the configuration, even if you want to modified
the binaries of Linrad and then do a compilation to run under Windows is
very simple, Joe and Leif tech me how to do that in Florence last EME
conference and that reinforce my decision to continue using Linrad under
Windows, but this is a complete personal decision.

Best regards to All

Alex, HB9DRI