Linrad installation problem

Hello ,

some time ago I've done a complete LINRAD installation using Mandrake 10 . I
recall this was painfull with many troubles.
This time I'm trying to do the same with a faster , newer PC , and I get
troubles almost from the begining.

OS is UBUNTU

I downloaded it , installed it flawessly , no pb.

I then followed Leif's instructions:

1) Install SVGALIB : not needed , already here.

2) Download NASM : done one another PC as my LINRAD PC is NOT connected to
the Internet.
   copied it in /usr , unziped it , and ran ./configure , and troubles
starts:
>  sudo ./configure
> creating cache ./config.cache
>
> checking for prefix by checking for nasm... no
>
> checking for gcc... gcc
>
> checking whether the C compiler (gcc ) works... no
>
> configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot
> create executables.
My friend Xtof ON4IY told me that in Debian , I should not have done it this
way , and that I must to run apt command
I did so , but as NASM is not in data base , and as I cannot get it via the
Internet , I cannot go further , as I don't know what to do.

Question to W3SZ ( who I cannot reach directly via E mail). I saw somewhere
it is possible to get directly operationnal LINRAD via a LIVE CD , is it
still available , how to get it if rigth , and what operations must be done
when download cannot be done from the Linrad PC ( but OK on another one)?

73 Dom/F6DRO