[linrad] Re: MAP65 progress

Hi Alex and all,

   You ask about Linux....  I 'converted' to 100% linux many years ago
now. The basic advantage I see is that once I get something working it
stays working.

   With windows each new version meant I had to learn lots of stuff all
over again. With Linux most commands are the same from version to version.

   Of far more importance is that I have yet to have a non-hardware
related crash in which I lost major stuff. When one hard drive gets flaky,
I mount it on another Linux machine and copy all the stuff to it and keep
going :). I spend MUCH less time spent fighting the operating system.

   I almost forgot to mention, there are NO linux viruses of any
consequence. When I do on-line shopping I boot a linux version from a live
CD. Then there is not even a remote chance that my computer can get
hacked and cause me any problem.

   DSL (DamnSmallLinux.org) usually just works with older wireless cards.
If you are within open 802.11 WIFI range, you just boot DSL and you are on
the web. If one live linux doesn't work, you just download another and try
it. No $$, just a few CDs.

   I use several versions.

   My preferred version is Knoppix 5.0.1 DVD. I buy a new 100-200GB hard
drive and put various versions of Linux on it and one huge 'user'
partition. I put almost all of my stuff in the user partition. In that way
I can 'mount' my stuff in whatever version of linux I happen to find
useful at the time.

  A typical hard drive layout is:

  hda1 - DSL 0.8.3 or Knoppix 3.6 - used mostly to recover and get and
keep things up and running. - DSL needs 300-500MB and knoppix 3.6 3.5-4
GB.
  hda2 - HUGE user partition - ext2 - 1/2 of hard drive
  hda3 - swap - about twice the size of main memory
  hda4 - extended

various linux OSs such as
  hda5 - Ubuntu 7.04 - 4-5GB
  hda6 - Knoppix 3.6 - 3.5-5GB - I frequently put two copies of the same
OS. If I have trouble I can just switch and figure out whatever problem
later.
  hda7 - Knoppix 5.0.1-DVD 17-20GB - This version is HUGE, but it is ALL
there and it just works :))). PCB layout, Schematic, etc.
  hda8 - DSL latest version - 1GB
  hda9 - another DSL or two
  hda10 - another interesting linux version
  hda14 - One of my hard drives has 14 partitions on it!!!

  I tend to prefer Debian based linux versions.

  Lots of fun !!!!

  All the above said, it took be about a year before I noticed that I just
wasn't even turning on Windows anymore. Which lead me to dump Microsoft
almost totally. I do use DOS on an occasional machine, but it is networked
into my Linux computers. So far, I have been too lazy to convert to
FreeDOS.

  I have not bought a new computer for some time. I wait 'til someone puts
a "old" computer out in the trash or gives one to me. I install Linux in
it and I have a new computer that works fine. I network it with my others
and once I power it up, I talk to it VIA the network.

  One recent gift computer has not even had the cover opened. I just put a
DSL CD in the drive, plugged in the network and it just worked.

  XLinrad works great talking to a 2nd Xwindows display box.

  I run Xlinrad on a 1GHZ pentium and talk to it using X windows from a
box running DSL. In that way I can easily change resolutions. I just
change DSL to match whatever screen resolution I wish, ssh into the remote
linrad box and start xlinrad.

  My computer cluster at work has a whole bunch of different computer. All
networked together with 10base2 (50 ohm coax). Works great!!

  I have probably gone on long enough. I hope you enjoy learning linux as
much as I have :)).

  I think linrad is GREAT. I use it on HF all the time.

  warm regards,
  john, ni1b