[linrad] Re: Fwd: [softrock40] v7.0 kit run or not?

Hi, Josh,

I am not an RF expert, so take ANYTHING I say with a large grain of salt. I was waiting for the real experts to chime in, but haven't seen any answers from them, so here goes ;)

The site you found and listed in your email looks good.  Thanks!

If you have a preamp for the band you want to play with [lets say 144 MHz], you could make something VERY simple with just the preamp as the front end, a Minicircuits TUF-1 mixer, and an LO at 116 MHz. If the preamp had selectivity, you wouldn't have a problem with the image frequency. If needed, you could put additional simple gain stages before or after the TUF-1, but trying it without those would get you started.

Hope that helps.  I can't wait for the SoftRocks to arrive here!

Don't forget to play with Rocky!  http://www.dxatlas.com/rocky/

73,

Roger
W3SZ