From: w3sz@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: leif@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: linrad make error
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 21:35:49 -0500

HI, Leif,

I am testing Debian Etch [testing] with
OSS version: 3.99.4a
OSS build: 200603251735
Kernel version: Linux debian 2.6.15-1-686-smp #2 SMP Mon Mar 6 15:34:50 UTC 2006 i686 GNU/Linux
Kernel vermagic: 2.6.15-1-686-smp SMP 686 gcc-4.0
Modutils version: 3.2.2

Also 4.0.3-1 and nasm 0.98.38.

I find when trying to 'make' Linrad-01.35 that I get the following error:

   main.o ui.o setvga.o setad.o fft1.o buf.o mouse.o wide_graph.o \
getiq.o fft0.o rxtest.o hires_graph.o fftasm.o baseb_graph.o mix2.o \
afc_graph.o hwaredriver.o sellim.o palette.o gifsave.o timing.o help.o \
calibrate.o calsub.o calsub2.o llsqvar.o llsq.o caliq.o timf2.o wcw.o \
powtim.o selvar.o fft2var.o sigvar.o screenvar.o uivar.o fft1var.o \
fft3var.o calvar.o blnkvar.o mix1.o fft1_re.o fft1_approx.o fft1_complex.o \
simdasm.o blank1.o fft2.o pol_graph.o split.o afcsub.o modesub.o spur.o \
cohsub.o coherent.o eme.o spursub.o freq_control.o fft2mmxb.o fft2mmxa.o \
tune.o txtest.o network.o fft2mmxc.o hware.o morse.o coh_osc.o cwspeed.o \
netvar.o settx.o cwdetect.o txvar.o vlab.o fft3.o

/usr/bin/ld: unrecognized option '--crefmain.o'
/usr/bin/ld: use the --help option for usage information
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [linrad] Error 1
---------------end of make error

Linrad-02.03 installs fine without this error under the new Debian distro and kernel!

This is just an FYI.

Since I am sending this via the list I will post a couple of other interesting things.

I am playing with installing Debian testing [Etch] using Netinst, from

This installed OK except that I had to go in and set the network parameters. For some reason netinst assumed DHCP, so I had to enter the dnsservers and ip address/netmask/gateway stuff after install.

svgalib install ended with an error, with svgalib_helper failing to install [of course]. Setting the NOHELPER option rendered this problem moot. I again had to use the mdev /dev/input/mice statement to get the mouse to work in svgalib. I had to use the VESA driver with my Intel i810 video to get decent video resolution choices in svgalib.

OSS remains a problem. It will install and I can turn it on with ./soundon and configure it with ./soundconf, but when it is used either via ./osstest or ./linrad, it will lock up the computer thoroughly so that I must hold in the ac power button for about 10 seconds to shut off the computer and then reboot. cntl-alt-del, cntl-alt-F7, cntl-alt-F8, escape, cntl-C, etc have no effect in this situation.

To get OSS to install I had to use my usual trick of renaming soundcore.ko to soundcore.ko.old to stop the sound from installing so that OSS could install.

I would recommend staying with the stable form of Debian at present [Sarge]. The most recent kernel I have gotten to work with Sarge is 2.6.12.x. Trying 2.6.14.2 got me into quite a bit of difficulty, so I decided to just go all the way to Etch and 2.6.15.1 and see if I could get everything working.

73,

Roger
W3SZ

___________________________________ Yahoo! Mail: gratis 1GB per i messaggi e allegati da 10MB http://mail.yahoo.it