[linrad] Re: Mandriva 2006.1-0.3 Free

leif@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

You say Mandriva releases once a year. Where can I download

the free part of the latest official release? Maybe it
is old enough today for the latest OSS to work with it?

Mandriva 2006 was released in September of 2005.

You can find the Mandriva 2006 free release iso files here:

ftp://ftp.proxad.fr/pub/Distributions_Linux/MandrivaLinux/official/iso/2006.0/i586/

This is one of the mirrors.

Mandriva does not include sources on the free release, but they are available for free download on the mirrors, along with contributed packages, and lots of additional rpms that won't fit on the free 3-CD set. What you get by belonging to the Club is just easy ways to install commercial stuff like Nvidia or ATI drivers, RealPlayer, Adobe, lots of other stuff, but all things that are freely available on the net anyway. I belong because it's just easier for me, but you can get anything offered as club packages freely elsewhere and install them.

You'll find the stuff that won't fit on the CD-set here in the several subdirectories:

ftp://ftp.proxad.fr/pub/Distributions_Linux/MandrivaLinux/official/2006.0/i586/media/

Updates to the original release for security or bugfix reasons are here:

ftp://ftp.proxad.fr/pub/Distributions_Linux/MandrivaLinux/official/updates/2006.0/RPMS/

Again there are lots of mirrors available, this seems to be one of the most reliable and fastest sync'd.

I hope that helps.

Rick Kunath