[linrad] 96000 Hz sampling from stock laptop

Hello, All,

I was playing with a laptop tonight and found to my surprise that it played back 96000 Hz sampling rate I/Q wave files through both Winrad and Linrad with no problem, giving me [nearly] 96000 Hz bandwidth on my laptop, with no special effort on my part.

It also [of course] plays back 96000 Hz sampling rate "adfiles" on Linrad, and in fact is playing back the dual-receive-polarity 96000 Hz adfile of EME named frh1135 [obtained from Leif's website] as I type this.

Since it doing both H and V receive polarities and doing I/Q, it must be using 4 channels for input alone; very nice for a stock laptop ;)

All of this is using Windows; I made no attempt to put Linux on this machine [and won't do so in the future, either].

The laptop is a simple Dell Inspirion 600m. I think I've had it about a year or so [maybe longer]. It is pretty basic and not a speed demon; its main use is just to provide a VPN link back to the office when I am on trips. It has a Pentium M running at 1.6 GHz as I recall, and only 512 MB of memory. It is running XP Pro SP2. Everything is stock; I did nothing to upgrade hardware or software. The stock audio is SigmaTel C-Major Audio. It is handling the frh1135 96K dual-polarity file on Linrad fine with no pauses, hitches, or speed warnings. Of course, it would be possible to change the parameters so as to overwhelm the processor, but I am running with a 'reasonable' set of parameters without tweaking with no problems.

I see from the SigmaTel website http://www.sigmatel.com/support/product/#9200 that many chips from their [notebook PC] STAC9200-9700 series Codecs will sample at 192KHz and have 24 bit resolution, so maybe my laptop can sample even higher than 96000 Hz. Also, my Inspirion 600m is not complaining at my sampling at 96000 Hz for the input to Linrad and only 8000 Hz for the output.

For demo purposes and playing around, all this means that at least some fairly recent if not state-of-the art laptops will provide reasonable usability with Linrad and Winrad right out of the box. I've found that I really need a display width of around 90 KHz or more for doing EME and microwave stuff, so its nice to find a laptop that will allow me to do a demo with the standard configuration that I use when I operate.

This may be useful info to some of you who want to get started with Linrad or Winrad and have a laptop sitting around, or who want to do a demo somewhere at 96000 Hz sampling, but don't want to lug the big tower PC to the demo site. I suspect that this is all 'old hat' to the computer gurus out there, but it was news to this simple user. I'd be interested in hearing from others who find that their stock laptops [or desktops] sample at 96000 Hz or greater and work reasonably well with Linrad and Winrad. This would probably be a useful list to compile and perhaps place on something like Rein's site http://www.nitehawk.com/linrad_dat/

73,

Roger Rehr
W3SZ

--