Re: [linrad] Newbie's first impressions

David Anderson GM4JJJ wrote:

I know there is a GUI on my Linux somewhere, but cannot recall how to fire it up... the RedHat installation manual is about as useful as a chocolate fireguard.

If your GUI stuff has been set up already, the usual way to start it is to type "startx" at the command prompt.

One question, how did you transfer the files you needed to your Linux Box? - Did you connect to the Net or copy over the network, or use floppies?

I haven't put the new machine on the network yet, and it does not have a floppy drive. (This seems to be a direction in the industry.) But it does have a CD-RW drive. So I downloaded the files for svgalib, nasm, OSS, and Linrad using my Windown machine and copied them onto a CD-RW platter. This could be mounted ("mount /mnt/cdrom") on the Linux box, and the files were then directly accessible. Just like a floppy, but 600 MB.
			-- 73, Joe, K1JT