RE: [linrad] Pointer needed SUSE 9.0 pro

Newer kernels support SATA drives.  Since you have the EIDE drive working
you should look at using a 2.6 kernel or a 2.4 kernel with the libata
patches (ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/jgarzik/libata/) to
support the new drive.

Here is an article from August 29th, 2003 which talkes about how to do it.
http://www.burgettsys.com/stories/59456/

It should be much more supported now.

For the other poster, if knoppix has support for the SATA drive you can
probably boot off the CD and then do the HD install from inside the live
system.  I'm not familer enough with SUSE to give you much help there.

For linux I don't think it is kernel support which is normally the issue,
but having the installers support the new hardware is a lot harder since
those are based on older kernels.

							Later, JOSH