Re: [linrad] RE: Detecting phase modulation with undersampling

Krzysztof Kamieniecki wrote:

>I'm probably confused but with the processing power of the DSP that you have why
>not just create a digital version of the analog circuits you have used in the
>past. You may need to downconvert and decimate the input signals first.

In theory that sounds good, but it is not too obvious (to me anyway),
the best way to do that. The DSP is fast, but not fast enough to do
real-time processing of a 70 MHz signal directly. The key will be the
undersampling, but that, along with the fact I can't continuously pass
data from the A/D to the DSP due to the limitaitions of the bus between
them, causes even more complications.

>You may also want to look at GNURadio, if you haven't yet, it is a Software
>Radio Toolkit.

I will do that.

>Although it is PC based you could prototype your design using it. You can post this question to the GNURadio list as well, there seem to be a
>lot of people there with a wide range of signal processing interests and
>experiences.

Knowing GNU stuff, it will probably run on any UNIX system, which is a
good thing. I rather have an aversion to PC's - especially if they run
Windoze. At home I have UNIX computers from Sun, IBM, SGI, Dec, HP (plus
any I forgot). I find testing software on lots of platforms a very good
way to find bugs.

One of my programs for analysing transmission lines

http://atlc.sourceforge.net/

has been built on various UNIX systems, but including a very old Cray
supercomputer and a Sony Playstation 2!!! I personally built it on the
Cray (which caused a few problems due to the fact the size of a short is
8 bytes, rather than the 2, which it has been on any computer 8, 16, 32
or 64 bit computer I have come across). Someone else went to the trouble
of building it on a Sony Playstation 2. It wil also build on Windoze.

--
Dr. David Kirkby PhD CEng MIEE
Senior Research Fellow