re Fedora vs RH9

reply to Leif's comments regarding fedora Core 3 disk activity:

I just spoke to a very knowledgeable linux programmer and system administrator.
He told me that HAL is here to stay and RH9 will be abandoned very soon as it
is now 4 versions behind. He told me that there would be unexpected consequences
if I were to prevent HAL from starting. It not only looks for newly plugged
devices, it also configures Gnome and sets the size of linux as it loads.

Instead of preventing it from starting, he said there is a command to send it
within linrad which tells HAL:  "we are done configuring; please stop looking
for new devices"

Here is an article on how HAL works and it also has links to the official HAL
specifications:

http://www.redhat.com/magazine/003jan05/features/hal/

73,

Jeffrey