[linrad] Re: Fedora 3

Hello David.

I have upgraded my system to Debian "testing" and it works nicely. I do not know solaris OS. I heard that Solaris is Open source now. But I still prefer Debian philosophy. I Have also installed Debian "testing" with the new installer at many computers and they are running fine. I use GNU Octave for numerical computations and it works great. Sure that you know it. The best thing is using the same OS for years untill you know it well. I think Sun opened Solaris cause it is loosing its position on the server market. Debian does not depend on any busines benefit.

At least Debian really is free, and you don't feel you are going to get any nasty surprises. Does Debian not run Linrad OK??

Yes, I hope so. ;-)

BTW, I guess given the problems with the different distros of Linux, this might be a silly question, but is there much in Linrad that means it must run on Linux?

Could a UNIX operating system (i.e. Solaris, AIX, Tru64, IRIX, HP-UX, Mac OSX etc etc) be used without a major rewrite? Most modern Sun UltraSPARC boxes have a half-way decent soundcard that is accessable from Solaris. And of course Solaris now runs on x86 hardware too, so the better sound cards work too.

I have tested Linrad on FreeBSD (a BSD based free Unix), and it works (they have Linrad into the packages collection). I think that the most difficult part to port is the svgalib library. For example, I can not make Nvidia TNT2 card work under svgalib on FreeBSD on one of my computers. It only works as "vga". Another computer with an old S3 works well. The day Linrad work with the X-Window System things will be easy to port on several Unix flavours.

And just in case you did not know, Solaris is now free for both commercial and non commerical use on both SPARC and x86 hardware, for any number of CPUs. (Solaris 8 had a limit of 8 CPUs for the free version, but 10 is free under all circumstances).

Redhat