[linrad] Re: Fedora 3

leif@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Debian is hard to install for a newcomer while Fedora 3 is quite
> easy. Once installed I think Debian is a much better distribution.

Hi Leif!, Happily that is no longer true. If you have some free time, I
would like you to try installing Debian with the new Sarge installer. It
is not graphical (why does an installer need to be graphical?, hi,hi..)
, but it is very good. It is much better than the Woody one. It should
detect your hardware and your network if you have it.  You can install
Debian with a few key strokes.

Download the rc-3 version about 100 MB and install the base system
(without X-xindow) from that. Then you can install the rest of the
system from the Internet. I have here a recently installed Sarge Debian
Sarge running inside QEMU to test (a PC emulator running on my Debian
OS) and I notice it needs 150 MB of hard disk and 24 MB of RAM. That is
the great thing, you can install it from ugly old hardware to last
hardware.

73, Ramiro. EA1ABZ