[linrad] Re: Sound problem under Debian's Sarge[correction]

As I said, my mixture of sarge and woody is a bit out date. I have read later debian documentation and understand that update-modules command is considered obsolete now. /etc/modprobe.conf file is no longer needed. The real stuff should be located as files in /etc/modprobe.d/ directory, as stated below.
73, Ramiro.

Ramiro Aceves wrote:
Hello Patrick

I was going to tell you some directions, but I am not sure if they are accurate cause they are based on my woody-sarge mixture machine. So, I am going to work on my new fresh sarge install (in the spare partition) and I will tell you.

Obviously you do not need to reinstall (this is a wrong windows habit ;-) ).

I am going to tell you some hints that can avoid some nightmares for you:

The configuration of modules is strange at the begining, but soon you will understand that it is a very eficient way of doing things.

In Debian with 2.6 kernel, the configuration of modules is  on the
/etc/modprobe.conf file . But if you look at it, you will see that /etc/modprobe.conf "includes" the file /lib/modules/modprobe.conf. If you go to and edit /lib/modules/modprobe.conf you will see that Debian say :"you should not edit this file"

Well, instead, you must go to the /etc/modprobe.d/ directory

There, you will see some text files. That files include the configuration of the modules. When the root user runs the utility "update-modules", every file on /etc/modprobe.d/ directory is parsed, and a new /lim/modules/modprobe.conf is created. This is a very convenient way of doing it. When you for example install a new Debian package, and it needs a new module, its internal scripts create a new file in /etc/modprobe.d/ directory containing the configuration of the needed modules. The, the package installer runs "update-modules" command and the new module is included in the setup.
Easy, is not it?

So, the files on /etc/modprobe.d directory are the files that you need to tweak.

This is a very general aproach. I am not sure if the utility included in the alsa-utils package ("alsaconf") have a program to configure the sound easier with needing to know this compications. Any way, it is recomended to know how Debian works internally to get full control of the system.

I am going to play a little with my fresh sarge install to confirm this.

See you again.
Ramiro.