[linrad] Knoppix 4.01

Just a quick note to indicate that the new Knoppix 4.01 DVD does not work with Linrad with my hardware [Delta44 and AC97 OnBoard Sound]. Knowing this may prevent someone from wasting a bit of time.

After installing svgalib and Linrad into Knoppix 4.01 I find that Linrad runs and the spectrum and waterfalls appear to be 'OK', but no sound is heard. [I've confirmed that the other flavors of Linux still work with Linrad here] ;)

I have tried adjusting various mixer controls with no joy. Linux recognizes the cards correctly and they appear appropriately labeled on the various mixers included with Knoppix 4.01.

I was stymied in trying to remove the default sound system and install the 'real' version of OSS because of the fact that Knoppix insisted in re-installing the old sound system before I could get OSS installed, thus preventing the installation of OSS.

Even deleting the .ko files was fruitless because Knoppix put them back.

I am SURE that someone with more knowledge than I would have succeeded.

I suspect that if I took the time to do a hard drive install of Knoppix 4.01 I could succeed.

But as it is, Knoppix 4.01 out of the box [or, more properly, off the web] is a non-starter without modification, as far as Linrad goes with the Delta44 and AC97.

At this point it doesn't really matter, as a 3.2 GB download is not what we are after. Once the 750 MB or less version is released, it will bear looking into.

73,

Roger
W3SZ

--