[linrad] Re: Knoppix 4.01... more LDE

w3sz wrote:
> Hi Ramiro,
>
> Thanks for the notes and the help, as always!  I have some comments:

I am pleased to help.

> First, the index=0 typographical error was only in the email, not in
> the  alsa-base or sound files.  In the files the index is correctly set
> to  index=1.  So it is not the explanation as to why two modules are
> not  recognized by alsa at the start.  I do not know why they are not
> both  recognized.

:-(

> Second, there was a second typo in the email, but also not in the
> files.   The Delta44 file is snd-ice1712.  I had reversed the numbers
> and said 1217  in the email, which is incorrect.

:-(

> Third, although modprobe'ing snd-intel8x0 does install this driver
> module,  it does not cause alsa to recognize the i810 audio.  Neither
> does running  alsamixer.  Of the things I have tried so far, only
> running alsaconf and  selecting i810 audio installs the snd-intel8x0
> driver and allows alsa to  see both drivers/sound cards [as long as
> alsa-base or sound or foo or w3sz  has been modified as noted previously
> with the above corrections].  So  although alsaconf is considered to be
> poorly written and is said to  recognize only one soundcard, it is the
> only way I have discovered [I am  sure there are others] to get both the
> Delta44 and the onboard i810 Intel  sound working with Alsa so that
> Linrad can be used with the Delta44 as  input and Onboard i810 sound as
> output.

Well this is a very strange thing, but there should be an explanation
for that. There must be something that alsaconf do in the files and we
do not know. It would be a good exercise trying to discover what the
diferences are. Just curious. For example, take the alsa-conf file that
does not work and rename it as alsa-conf-w3sz. DO the same with sound
renaming it as sound-w3sz. Run alsaconf to make the changes that make
them work. Use the "diff" utility to discover the diferences:

$diff alsa-conf alsa-conf-w3sz > alsa-conf.diff
$diff sound sound-w3sz > sound.diff

and examine the *diff files under a text editor.

It is clear that the sound kernel modules are there ready for use
(/lib/modules/kernel-version). There must be some diferent "alias"
settings. Try to determine wich files are changed by alsaconf.

If you have free time, please send to me every file in /etc/modprobe.d/

73, Ramiro,
EA1ABZ.