Re: [linrad] User data contribution TNX

Hello Kohjin and All,

Thanks so much Kohjin, for the message!

Just to show what we are trying to accomplish here I like you to report on just the
beginning of  a long journey is the world of the Linux.
There is no doubt that there are many Linux experts on this reflector and some might think

that this is just an ego trip on the WEB or whatever.
Well let me say it is not. I like to provide information to new users or people that are
thinking about Linrad or just wondering how to get going with this.

OK here is the story:

First of all Roger W3SZ is a big help and driving force for Linrad.

I noticed what he is using and last Sunday I saw in the local paper that Fry's, a large
consumer electronics store in California,  had a sale on 32 MB DDR ATI Radeon 4X AGP
video cards. ( in So Cal ) USD 49 minus a 10 USD mail in rebate.

I am in N Cal at the moment and decided to get one of these cards ( it must be a good
choice
as Roger is using in, IMO ) Well I had not quite done the homework and while in the store
I discovered that they had at least 4 different of the Radeon boards and none on sale!

Back to the page in question and Roger's s pages  for more precise info! Actually I could
have
gone to their little wide band sales spot and clicked on:

  http://www.nitehawk.com/linrad_dat and from there to Leif;s Roger's or your contribution

 sections, neat!

Being back with my laptop I went to Google and did a search for "Radeon 7000" and found
out right away  that one can buy the board in question for USD 34.- in Washington State.
So much for the Frye's weekend discount!

Then I though, what is Roger reporting actually on "DRIVER" for this board?
Easy to start a search with Google. Not so easy to know where that would lead to!

BTW, Roger, Kohjin and myself had a little discussion a while ago whether we should list
the drivers  for the video card in the list or not.

It did not take me long to discover out that the RadeonXXX manufacturer does not support
Linux but "supports 3d party development of open source for their boards". What does that
mean in reality ( USD 79.95 for a driver from company X? )
Well Roger lists "PAGE 128" as the driver in use.

I just like you to try :

        http://www.google.com

and search for "Linux, Page128" and see what happens or if you want any combination
of those terms.......

I am sure that I am doing something wrong here but I do not know how to approach
this in any other way. I think that Google is the finest search engine in the world.

I hope this little story provides you with some incentives to help with this effort and
take a
a couple of minutes to complete the form.Most of you want to help active radio amateurs
with other then HT's,  to do weaksignal receiving with limited antenna capture area  or
do you not?.

My apologies if this sounds like a little too harsh.. I have been trying to promote DSP
for
weaksignal as I really are convinced that this is the ONLY way for amateur radio
weaksignal
to survive whether it is on LF, HF VHF/UHF or Microwaves. Certainly for the few younger
amateurs among us who are still interested in amateur radio and who will not have the
resources
to put a lot of aluminum in the air around the house for a long time to come.

Our thanks in advance es 73

Rein W6/PA0ZN

Kohjin Yamada wrote:

> Hello Rein and ALL,
>
> I am surprised and very sad to see only 4 of us made input:-(:-(:-(
> Guys, please take your time!
>
> Please correct my VIDEO CARD to Matrox Millenium G400.
> I'm afraid I had made a typo.
>
> Thank you Rein for your job.
>
> Kohjin - JR1EDE
>
> At 20:15 03/01/21 -0500, you wrote:
> >
> >   Hello Matt, KB0VUK and All,
> >
> >On behalf of the future and new Linux/Linrad users I
> >like to express thanks for your corrected user data input.
> >
> >All input is welcome and a complete system inventory is a
> >great contribution for:
> >
> >   http://www.nitehawk.com/linrad_dat/
> >
> >   73 Rein W6/PA0ZN

LINRADDARNIL