Re: [linrad] linrad installation problem

     HI Chris,

     Not willing to speak for Henk, I will just speak for myself

     Your suggestions are like, what shall I say, Finnish or Rumanian
     Henk, I am sure, has never heard about "a _binary_image of gcc"
     Nor does he really understand, most likely, what you mean by
     "compiling the source code for gcc" If he goes that route
     He might just say. OK I get a DSPBlaster pay Brian his 75
     dollars and get a regular old fashioned 8 bit sound card.
     Ready done!
     I am sure you have done Linux for a long time, probably from
     the beginning. You probably do not care for Mandrake either.
     Not sure about that but you clearly know Linux and I get the
     impression that Mandrake is not for real linux users!

     I have installed "Development tools" in Mandrake from the
     first time I installed it, did not experience any problems in
     using Leif's instructions, ran through it just fine, no errors
     but the sound card does not communicate properly with Linrad.
     Now who expects the source and headers not to be installed!
     Answer the Mandrake people. They did the installation
     routine. I seriously question whether RH is really any better
     in this respect.

     You have to forgive me I have walked through many of those
     Linux related Q/A's and messages on I do not know how many
     linux boards and you see most of the times no answers or the
     type of answer you give to Henk.
     Why do we not try to come up with directions let's say for
     what makes a compiler complete. There might be even
     test sample source code that let you check whether a compiler
     is a complete operational compiler!!
     To do this might probably is a major job, so perhaps it can be
     done for a popular distribution.
     What makes a complete installed Kernel for what we are doing
     in Linrad, run old SVGA stuff, fool aroud with sound card stuff
     in particular ALSA as this is going to be part of next linux
     versions and compile Linrad.

     Or even better explain how to deal with one of those running
     screens when doing a ./configure or make or make depend or make
     install make all. How to edit make files etc. etc. How to use a
     modprobe to install modules how to remove modules, How to
     handle old version left overs etc etc.

     Users or potential users of this software should not have to
     spend hours studying a big mass, fine for the Linux lovers
     but not for your average amateur who is interested to make
     QSO's not in development of linux software or becoming a C/C++
     programmer.

     Anyway I am trying to get something started here that will make
     this Linrad software usable for people, myself included.
     not to make enemies or generate bad feelings.

     73 Rein