[linrad] RE: Getting started

Hi All,

> > Here is the strace of linrad run as root,
> > still dos'nt run :(
> >
> > and /proc/bus/pci is there !
> > [root@gb7tf linrad-01.07]# ls /proc/bus/pci
> > 00/  01/  devices
> >
> but there is no 15/ directory, nor is there on any of my other
> machines.

I am not a Linux guru unfortunately, I am just using a
system that more or less installed itself:)

Actually I was not aware of the strace command until now.
I tried it on my system and it was interesting....

> All we need is a visual dsp audio spectrum analysis prog, for getting
> very weak microwave sigs out of the noise

Did you try svgalib-1.4.3 ?
It seems to me you are trying the development version and that
is more complicated.

> > close(-1)                               = -1 EBADF (Bad file descriptor)
> > open("/proc/bus/pci/15/0c.0", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or
> > directory)
All these things belong outside Linrad. I think in svgalib.

> > write(1, "SIMD (=xmm) supported by hardwar"..., 34) = 34
> > write(1, "/proc/cpuinfo says LINUX core is"..., 50) = 50
> > write(1, "Linrad will allow you to select "..., 61) = 61
> > write(1, "on your system.\n", 16)       = 16
> > write(1, "Any illegal instruction will cau"..., 54) = 54
> > write(1, "If your core is 2.4.8 or above e"..., 58) = 58
> > write(1, "Seems just the xmm flag in /proc"..., 53) = 53
> > write(1, "To use fast routines with an old"..., 83) = 83

This is the error message you get about SIMD instructions.
Seems the flag that means SIMD is supported has been changed, but
I do not know what it is.

> > ioctl(4, 0x4b3a, 0)                     = 0
> > nanosleep({0, 150000000}, NULL)         = 0
> > ioctl(4, 0x5605, 0x1)                   = 0
> > ioctl(4, 0x5607 <unfinished ...>
> > [root@gb7tf linrad-01.07]#

Presumably you did not send the entire file of your strace run.
There should be an open statement with return value = 4
somewhere. The open statement should tell you what has been
opened.

> > > flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
> > > mca cmov
> > > pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow

These are the flags. Some years ago the flax xmm would indicate that
the kernel is set up for SIMD register saving. I just do not know
which of the flags you have (if any) that means that SIMD is ok.
If someone on the list knows, I will change the code.
It does not really matter, it is just a warning. Only very old (by now)
Linux distributions will crash if you ignore this warning.

-