Re: [linrad] Real Linux Users

Hi Joe,

I fully agree. The discussion came about buying at ebay versus
downloading I
think.
And then my question about Mandrake vs Red Hat. Perhaps I just ran into
a non
representative part of Linux users from which I concluded, wrongly, that
there is something not quite "right" with Mandrake.

I use here Mandrake with Linrad, never tried any other distribution and
it is working OK. If one looks to all the other stuff on those CD's is
is a bargain, I think.

73 Rein W6/PA0ZN

Joe Fitzgerald wrote:

> I have played around with Mandrake distributions, and they (8.2, 9.0
> and 9.1) seemed pretty easy to set up.  I can't think of any real
> "politically correct" reason to shun them, unless you are one of those
> people who still orders "Freedom Fries" at McDonald's.  I remember I
> had to run a separate script after the installation (soundconf maybe?)
> to get the soundcard working, but I had to fool around with Red Hat
> also.  Both were pretty easy though.  The most brain-dead simple
> install I have seen is with Knoppix (yes, you can do a "real" hard
> disk installation with this distribution, despite it's primary selling
> point as a "live filesystem" CD).
>
> If you don't want to download GB's of iso images, there are many
> companies that will sell you CD's for cheap.  You don't get a fancy
> blue or white box, or printed manuals, but you get what you really
> need,  the CD's.
>
> http://www.debian.org/CD/vendors/
> has a list of vendors for the Debian distribution, most of them also
> have other distributions as well.  For example, www.linuxcdrs.com has
> Mandrake 9.2 for $4.99 USD, and Knoppix for $0.99 USD.  That is tough
> to beat.
>
> -Joe KM1P

LINRADDARNIL
.