[linrad] RE: Still problems svga

Hi Richard,

> I am still struggling to get svga installed
> I have tried svgalib-1.4.3 and svgalib-1.9.18
>
> gcc seems to generate various errors when it includes various files from
> the kernel and main.o will not compile.
> I have tried this on Mandrake 9.2 and RH9.0 and two different machines -
> kernel 2.4.22 and 2.4.20
I have been running RH9 (kernel 2.4.20-8) on several different
computers from Pentium MMX to Pentium IV, stationary and a laptop.
They all install svgalib-1.4.3 without any problem.
I do not know in what way our RH9 installations differ, but
presumably you have not included some package needed by svgalib.

I usually select "custom installation" and "install everything"
in case the computer has a big hard disk. On the small ones
I select workstation and add development, kernel development
and kernel source. Maybe there are a few other ones that
are self-evident but that I forgot now. I do not know exactly which
packages that are required by svgalib, but for sure they are included
in the RH9 distribution (and every other distribution I ever tried)

> Also there was a linker error - ldconfig in the makefile was not
> recognized
missing package....

> Has anyone done svga with these latest distros? I am thinking that there
> may have been kernel changes since the last version of svga
Yes, as above.

> I could go back to RH 8.0 or even 7.2 if necessary, but this will be a
> hassle
It would not change anything. You still have to select all the packages
one typically has to select when doing software development.