Re: [linrad] RE:Mandrake 9.2. Help with configure

On Wed, 2004-02-18 at 12:59, Leif Åsbrink wrote:
> Hi Richard and all,
>
> > rpms have the advantage of being able to tell easily if an update is
> > available. urpmi will go one stage further on a download and down load
> > the dependant files if not already installed.
> Seems like black magic to me.
>
> > It is on the later that installing from tarballs fails, as there is no
> > record of what is installed.
> > Even with src rpms using urpmi will installed the dependant files or
> > source code needed to compile the downloaded source.
> > They are a very powerful tool.When used correctly you are less liable to
> > screw things up than using tarballs.
> Maybe. It is far beyond my knowledge to know whether this is
> really true or whether it is a form of "overselling" a concept.
>
> Will a rpm install on all distributions from Redhat6.1 to Redhat9 as
> well as SuSE, Debian and all the others if the rpmt is properly designed?
> It seems to me it might add complications by updating things that
> might make other packages not work any more. Does not the rpm strategy
> require some sort of "centralized" system. One would have to have
> all packages registred somehow so one would know the dependencies
> between all of them.
This is where there are some differences. Three major distros use rpms,
mandrake,redhat and suse.
You can usually load RH rpms on a mandrake system, and vice versa. Suse
is the odd one out !. Debian uses the deb package, which as I've never
used debian I know nothing about.

RPMs work well when there are many users on a distribution, Linrad
dosn't fall in that category, I wish it did as you would have a lot of
users. The svga libs are still used by a few other apps outside of ham
radio, so using a rpm is justified and helps users with limited
knowledge.
As for linking libraries its not that difficult .
As it happens svgalibs don't build on this machine, it borks on
svgahelper.But as this machine is nearly running Mdk 10.0 not a problem.
The problem with svgalibs is that the numbers using it are slowly
diminishing, like serious vhf to microwave DX chasers.

Stick with what your happy with Leif and what you know.
73
Richard

--
Richard Bown <richard.bown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>