Re: [linrad] Linrad and Mandrake 9.2

Before you give up on Mandrake 9.2, I think you can dig into your problem a little more and come to a solution. You may need a symlink between libvga.so.1 and libvga and libvgagl.so.1 and libvgagl ... I had a similar problem on Red Hat.
Here is a post from a long time ago before I learned about symlinks. It will also fix the problem, but it is not as elegant.

*****

As long as we are on the subject of libraries ...

I attempted to compile linrad 00.51 on my Redhat 8.0 system, but got an
error message that the linker could not find the libraries specified by
-lvga and -lvgagl. After learning a bit about how gcc works with ld, I
found I could compile by changing in the Makefile

gcc -olinrad -lvga -lvgagl \ <rest of command deleted for brevity>

gcc -olinrad /usr/lib/libvga.so.1 /usr/lib/libvgal.so.1 \ <rest of command deleted for brevity>

I have not figured out why ld is not searching for the libraries in the
standard path with the original Makefile generated by configure.

-Joe KM1P
******

I got mine from one of the Linux magazines at the newsagent. It seems Mandrake is starting to get away a bit fom the Open Source ethos towards a commercial model - how is supporting a commercial entity suporting the Linux community?
Mandrake has been and continues to be a big contributor to the community, but they have discovered that when they give _all_ their stuff away, they cannot make enough money to pay their employees enough so they can eat, buy clothing and find a place to live.  You speak of the "Open Source ethos" ... unfortunately that is a rather vague term ... it means something different to pretty much everybody.  I get the sense that you would like to get all your software without paying for it ... which is fine, but you will likely have to jump through a few more hoops than those that choose to pay for a fully QC'ed distro.  That's part of the Linux adventure.  Fortunately, there are lots of folks out there that are willing to help.

-Joe KM1P

Richard Hosking wrote:

I have tried various options and got the libraries libvgagl.so.1 and libvga.so.1 into /usr/lib/ by copying them directly. I gather this is not sufficient, however, and I cant get the full package to compile.
When I rpm linrad, it says it doesnt see these files
Oh well - guess I will go and spend my money.

svgalib doesnt seem to be a package included in the Mandrake 9.2 distro. I got mine from one of the Linux magazines at the newsagent. It seems Mandrake is starting to get away a bit fom the Open Source ethos towards a commercial model - how is supporting a commercial entity suporting the Linux community?

Richard

Joe Fitzgerald wrote:

Richard Hosking wrote:

I would be happy to consider payment for an rpm if it is supporting the Linux community. Is Mandrakesoft a commercial entity?

They are a commercial entity, and supporting them is definitely supporting Linux community.
-Joe KM1P

LINRADDARNIL