Re: [linrad] Real Linux Users

--- "John Harrison, NI1B" <jmh6@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Rein,
>
>    Great comment :))
>
>    Will the real linux users please stand up. Great.  :))))

I've always claimed Linux is no harder to set up and get
working than MS Windows.  This is a testable claim too:

Get someone who has never used MS Windows, not one mouse
click.  Now give him a bare, unformatted hard drive, a
windows CDROM and a random assortment of PC parts like
a Motheroard, some RAM, a CPU, NVidia Graphic card and
so on.  Just see if the non-windows user can build a
working system.  I'd bet 95% of them can't.  And I'd
bet the over half of experianced MS Windows users could not
build a system either.

The only reason windows is easy is because
1) Almost everyone buys the PC with Windows already installed
   and with parts pre-selected to work with Windows
2) There are very few people who've never used Windows

The claim that Linux is hard to set up needs to be made
"apples to apples".

I still have my 1st edition K&R book and remember UNIX from
the pre-Sytem V days.  "real Linux/UNIX users" will
remember the play on words that is the name "UNIX": It was
a comment on the "Multix" OS made by Honeywell.
I think I saw UNIX first running on a
DEC VAX 11/780 at about the time the PC-XT with DOS version 5
was comming out. Linux is a very late newcommer.  Linux did
have the advantage the on day one there was a base or people
with 15 years UNIX experiance.

I think I was already using a mounse on UNIX systems (SunOS)
when I saw my first Apple Macintosh, the "512 with dual floppies"
MS WIndows was not yet out but we all had 20" CRTs with running
X11.  OF couse these were $50,000 workstations back in the
1980's and my current $1000 Solaris box runs circles around
it.

I've kept a few antique Sun Workstations.  I've still got a
12Mhz SPARC with 16MB RAM that runs SunOS.

> [...]
>
>    Getting the peripherals to run right is "the" problem. Only
> because
> Microsoft has coerced many to hide behind Microsoft's "closed" source
> model.
>
>    That said once you get something to run, linux runs better in
> every way
> (IMHO :)
>
>    Still getting network, video, mouse and audio to all run is "the"
> chore.
>
>    We just need to do a linux friendly "real" audio interface. The
> rest is
> cake. Guess what I have been collecting parts for? Takes a while.
> Maybe
> someone will beat me to the punch. Stay tuned :)))
>
>    Once you get linux running right, you will NEVER go back. Don't
> forget
> to check out wine ("wine is not an emulator").
>
>    warm regards,
>    john
>

> On Wed, 29 Oct 2003, Rein A. Smit wrote:
>

> > Hello All,
> >
> > Earlier, there was a remark made about Mandrake not being the
> "right" or
> > perhaps
> > "PC"  ( Political Correct ) distribution.
> > Could I get some more feedback on that? Is it possibly too easy to
> work
> > with for
> > real Linux users?
> > Also, I put up the note to make you aware that it is not necessary
> > spend MicroSoft like prices to get a nice CD set.
> >
> > 73 Rein W6/PA0ZN
> >

> > Richard Bown wrote:
> >
> > >Hi All
> > >comments on Mandrake.
> > >
> > >I have had difficulty with an ATI Radeon card getting linrad to
> run, but
> > >on a standard graphics card it compiles and looks like it will
> run, and
> > >thats on Mandrake 9.2 , the release date is the start of November.
> > >That was using vgalib 1.4.3 installed as a RPM.
> > >The RPM for this is in the old distro part of the mandrake site,
> last
> > >distro'd with MDK8.1.
> > >
> > >MDK9.2 download edition is free, but you will find the mirrors are
> > >heavily clogged,
> > >If you do decide to go for MDK9.2 wait a month or so as there have
> been
> > >a few minor bugs with some of the apps, both Gnome and KDE.
> > >
> > >MDK 9.2 is available to download as a torrent, which is fairly
> quick.
> > >

> > >Should you download MDK9.2 use the Icemaker window manager to
> start with
> > >, download the updates, then restart in either Gnome or KDE.
> > >
> > >One of the problems is a menu problem in both Gnome and KDE, and
> as the
> > >download sites are VERY heavily used with a new distro,
> downloading the
> > >upgrades during install or upgrade fails due to time out.
> > >
> > >Apart from the odd teething trouble Mandrake 9.2 is a very nice

=====
Chris Albertson
  Home:   310-376-1029  chrisalbertson90278@xxxxxxxxx
  Cell:   310-990-7550