Re: [linrad] linrad installation

      Hi Peter,

      Just to make some more noise and show what I mean with Linux
      matters.

      http://lwn.net/Articles/31566/

      Jaroslav Kysela <>
      To: Linus Torvalds

      Het is a recent message from the designer of the latest driver
      for my sound card. AC97  and others.
      You probably know who Linux Torvalds is.

      This alsa-driver-0.9.3a is the alsa driver that supports my
      AC97. I was told by more than 1 source that this would be the
      way to go. I am with the help, from Arie and Kohjin, able
      to get this driver compiled after discovering that on my
      machine at least, I have to install other software from the
      collection first namely alsa-lib-0.9.3 in order to compile
      the driver without errors. Small point but I did not know that
      when I started with this latest alsa stuff. It may well be
      that it is my inexperience with linux thatI did nor know this
      fact.

      I write this also for others as ALSA is a big subject for
      Linrad.

      Just to give you some feeling for these kind of problems just
      try for fun on:

      http://www.google.com

      "AC97 Alsa"  You probably want to try it in the English
      version. It will show you what I mean.....

      73 Rein

"Rein A. Smit" wrote:

>    HI Peter,
>
>    At the risk of starting a firestorm I will give my vision.
>    First of all I have trouble getting Linrad to go as I do not
>    want to buy the OSS license for just the audio portion of
>    Linrad.
>    I do not think that has to much to do with my problem.
>
>    I have Mandrake 9.1 here, it comes here in the US on 3 CD's
>    You can buy it here in eBAY anywhere between USD 6,- and USD 10.-
>    depending on shipping. There are also UK people on eBay that
>    sell it for a few UK pound.
>    No documentation though I have here a 8.1 version that I bought for
>    USD 20.- at a store that had it on sale 6 month ago.
>    With that version, 8.1, came 2 books.
>    In these books you find virtually nothing that you are going to need,
>    dealing  with video and in particular sound as it is used in Linrad.
>    If you do some home work you will find that many experts consider
>    Mandrake to be very close to Red Hat. Though Mandrake seems to be
>    more friendly to install.
>    I have here versions of RH going back to 4 or 5 as I was interested
>    in Linrad the minute I did hear about it. It was always the linux
>    that kept me from starting to do anything,  Computers, room on
>    hard drive partitioning, making a list of your hardware  etc etc.
>    There are chapters and chapters written about installing Linux
>
>    Here my experience with Mandrake. I load it as fast as I can
>    run the selected parts of the 3 CD's. I have done it by now
>    I guess 50 times. ( 20 minutes each ) There is nothing to be done
> other
>    than changing the CD's and adding passwords and a few other things
>    like selecting waht you load, like the nightmare of "kernel"
>    The system is so good that even if you want the system not to find
>    a soundcard it will find it just fine.
>    I believe my problem is not getting the right driver for the card
>    or an old version or this or that. That is when you start talking
>    linux. I get to admire Bill Gates and his people and policies!
>
>    It is really very very nice as long as you do not mass with it and
>    again many or not all of the windows stuff is there, nice graphics,
>    fast etc, etc all for 6 Euros!
>
>    Here comes to bad. As soon as you get to Linrad it becomes a
> different
>    story.
>    Arie has helped me quite a lot up to the point that I feel almost
>    a complete idiot, not because of him though Arie is using commands to
>    get to the guts of things. I have here some 5 900 page books on Linux
>   ( they are cheap here in the US ( USD 40 - 50 ) I buy them on markets
>    for 20 cents on the dollar or less.
>    Most of these books are published once a year ( new version of
>    Linux(!) Anyway about those books most, if not everything you can
>    find on the internet. Arie and Kohjin ask me to do do those
>    routines and commands and I can't find a letter about them in
>    these so-called linux books.

> [...]
LINRADDARNIL