Re: [linrad] ALSA vs OSS ?

Hi Edson!

I didn't think that you are one of ALSA fun:-)
(I was about to write to you for this matter)
Thanks for your input which's the very first one as far as I remember.

In these a week or so, I've changed my Linux to Debian which's very differs
than RedHat. I might continue to stay with Debian.

Now, here is the one I get today from our debian-users (JA) mailing list.
It's a scrach and posted author has a problem with this.
Please every one understand and use just for your information.
I will try myself under Debian maybe shortly as OS installation not yet
completed.

---shell script for ALSA install---

echo
echo "Making ALSA drivers"
echo
bzip2 -d alsa-driver*.tar.bz2 2>/dev/null
tar -xvf alsa-driver*.tar
cd alsa-driver-*
/configure --with-isapnp=no --with-cards=ens1371,emu10k1,ice1712
--with-sequencer=yes
make install
/snddevices
chmod 666 /dev/dsp* /dev/mixer* /dev/sequencer* /dev/midi*
cd ..
cat >~/.asoundrc <<EOF
 pcm.ice1712 {
           type hw
           card 0
        }

        ctl.ice1712 {
           type hw
           card 0
        }
EOF

echo
echo "Making ALSA libraries"
echo
bzip2 -d alsa-lib*.tar.bz2 2>/dev/null
tar -xvf alsa-lib*.tar
cd alsa-lib*
/configure
make install
cd ..

echo
echo "Making ALSA utilities"
echo
bzip2 -d alsa-utils*.tar.bz2
tar -xvf alsa-utils*.tar
cd alsa-utils*
/configure --disable-alsatest
make install
cd ..
-----------------------
Kohjin - JR1EDE

PS: Sorry Edson, I'm too busy, so our eye-ball qso/party will be delayed:-(

At 12:20 03/01/28 +0900, you wrote:

>This is what I have in the machines I have installed alsa:
>
>Distro:  Red Hat Linux release 7.2 (Enigma)
>CC:      gcc version 2.96 20000731 (Red Hat Linux 7.2 2.96-108.7.2)
>Kernel:  Linux 2.4.19 (compiled from sources)
>Sound:   SoundBlaster Live (EMU10K1 Chipset)
>Driver:  ALSA 0.9.0beta12
>LinRad:  lir00-48
>Remarks: SB Live's mixer has too many controls and options, making the
>         card configuration quite tedious and complex.
>
>Distro:  Red Hat Linux release 8.0 (Psyche)
>CC:      gcc version 3.2 20020903 (Red Hat Linux 8.0 3.2-7)
>Kernel:  Linux 2.4.18 (RedHat's original)
>Sound:   C-Media compatible (CMI9738 Chipset)
>Driver:  ALSA 0.9.0rc6
>LinRad:  lir00-48
>Remarks: The OSS Free driver did not work with linrad (API problems). The
>ALSA driver worked just fine. This is a 1000 Yen (US$8) soundcard very
>popular in Japan now days. Good sound quality and low noise.
>
>I did not have problems installing ALSA since version 0.6. The steps I
>used to install version 0.9rc6 were:
>
>0. Have the Linux kernel development package (headers) installed.
>1. Download ALSA drivers, libs, utils, tools, and oss lib.
>
>2. tar -zxvf alsa-driver
>3. ./configure; make
>4. as root, make install
>5. as root, ./snddevices
>
>6. tar -zxvf alsa-libs
>7. ./configure; make
>8. as root, make install
>
>9. tar -zxvf alsa-utils
>10. ./configure; make
>11. as root, make install
>
>12. tar -zxvf alsa-tools
>13. ./configure; make
>14. as root, make install
>
>15. tar -zxvf alsa-oss
>16. ./configure; make
>17. as root, make install
>
>To load the drivers by hand:
>
>As root,
>
>/sbin/modprobe your_sound_driver_module_name
>/sbin/modprobe snd-pcm-oss
>
>The OSS driver must be loaded separately.
>
>You can check the loaded modules with the command:
>
>/sbin/lsmod
>
>To have the modules loaded automatically the next time you boot Linux,
>edit /etc/modules.conf and insert the appropriate lines. Instructions on
>how to do this depends on the type of soundcard and sound driver you have.
>The instructions can be found at the ALSA web page.
>
>http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/
>
>Look for your soundcard and click on the Driver & Docs link.
>
>Hope this helps.
>
>73,
>
>-- Edson, 7n4ncl
>

>On Tue, 28 Jan 2003, Kohjin Yamada wrote:
>
>> Hello All,
>>
>> I had paid a full time of weeks for installing ALSA on my Delta 44 but
>had never
>> got a success so far.
>> I know I'm not that expert in Linux but have been a deep fun of Un*x
>> for more than 15 years.
>>
>> Who is using ALSA in this community?
> [...]

LINRADDARNIL