From: owner-linrad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-linrad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Matt KB0VUK
Sent: 11 January 2003 03:30
To: linrad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [linrad] More stuff.....

> The best thing to do is to use "chkconfig" to tailor a run level
> that is good for running Linrad.  Don't mess up a run level needed
> for other work.  I think 6 would work.  Then before you run Linrad
> you (as root) would do an "init 6" which would shut down so system
> processes and start Linrad.  Later you would switch back using
> "init 5" or "init 3".

If you want to build a custom runlevel for linrad there's a few things to
eliminate some of the other processes using cpu time.

I would suggest runlevel 2, as 6 is usually used for reboot.  RedHat &
derivatives don't use runlevels 2 and 4 for anything IIRC.  If you are
using linux for linrad only, you can make 2 the default runlevel.

In Mandrake put your startup scrips (batch files) in /etc/rc.d/init.d .
Probably one script for svgalibhelper, one for  mixer settings, then cd to
/etc/rc.d/rc2.d and add links to ../init.d/script_name_here.

Rename all the links that aren't going to be used  (network, xinetd, ftpd
etc.) Links have a specific naming scheme  S or K(NN)name_of_service where
the S means you want to start that service and K means you  want to kill
it. The numbers are the order the scripts are executed in (S00xyz before
S01qrs).  You can look in rc0.d to see what order to stop the services.

You can also add a user 'linrad' with the shell set as
/linrad_directory/linrad and linrad will start automatically when you
login.

If I don't make much sense or you need more help, just ask.  For those who
will have a computer dedicated to linrad, you should be able to start it
up, login as linrad and start listening,,,, no typing commands to set the
mixer, svgalib, etc.

73  Matt  KB0VUK

LINRADDARNIL