[linrad] Re: Linrad-02.10

Hi Zaba,

> While I forgot it running in the background,
> I noticed a new error (maybe an oldie to you):
>
> [1224]Overrun error. Is Linrad swapped to disk??
Linrad allocates buffers for the input thread
that span 0.3 seconds. In "normal usage" for CW
and SSB one wants a delay from antenna to loudspeaker
that is much smaller than that so there should be
plenty of margin....

The input thread has the highest permitted
priority (as well as the output thread) while
everything else has default priority. The 1224
error is issued when the normal priority thread
was slow enough to make the 0.3 second input
buffers overflow.

Do you have an Internet connection? Maybe a
security update swapped linrad onto the hard disk?

I am sure there are ways to take care of problems
like this - but I do not have the faintest clue
on what to do:-(

> I think there has been a lot of talk about the
> swap-issue, but I have not seen this before...
Yes. I asked for hints on what to do about it but
there was no response.

> I hope this is still the sort of bug-report you
> were asking for. The overall impression is great!
Yes, absolutely. Now I want to know everything that
could scare off a newcomer;-)

There may be problems that you know how to work
around, but to a newcomer they could be the end
of a Linrad effort. Anything that does not behave
as you think one ought to expect. Sometimes it is
intentional - but it could be badly described
(or not mentioned anywhere at all)