[linrad] Re: xlinrad 02.05. Problem solved(?)

leif@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi All,

Moving the mouse is still the culprit that causes crashes better than
anything else I do.

I do not see a spike on the System Monitor CPU usage [or on the Linrad
CPU usage indicator], but perhaps the spike is too brief.
My system runs about 15% or less CPU usage with 96000 Hz sampling, 4
channel input.

When I run  'valgrind xlinrad', then CPU usage is 98%PLUS and it is
not possible to make xlinrad crash with anything I have done.  xlinrad
runs very slowly, and there is a speed error with the sampling rate
only 35000-48000 instead of 96000.

It seems Pierre, ON5GN has fount the real bug! A multi-threaded
program has to call XInitThreads() as the first call to the X server.
I did not know about this so it is not done in xlinrad. Another X11 error is that the first XPutImage() must be delayed
until the first Expose event has happened.

Presumably valgrind does these things properly for Linrad:-)
I was unaware of valgrind and its easy use. It seems I could
find and correct many bugs that have not given any symptoms(yet)
in a very easy way so it should be a time saver:-)

I am not a programmer, my interest is signal processing and
the fundamentals of the algorithms involved. Maybe there are other little 'hints' that would make things easier and faster.
Is there a 'valgrind' for Windows for example?

Baahhh Humbug. A programmer is someone who writes effective programs that accomplish a task. You have certainly done that and you have produced now the version that will carry this work forward for a while. Unfortunately, I do not believe valgrind is available under windows and it would be very difficult to make valgrind work because of the myriad differences between process/threads on windows and on all real operating systems. ;-).

Pierre told me that XInitThreads makes the ESC not work any more.
I have no idea why and I can not check it or anything else because
the P4 machine is busy installing Debian Sarge from the internet.
It reports 12 more hours to go. I started install 14 hours ago,
this time a reasonably complete installation because it is so
difficult to find out what package to download when something
is missing.

Once I can put the current developement disk (Debian Etch) back into the computer I will try to implement XInitThreads
and have a check with valgrind. Do not waste more time on
xlinrad-2.05, I will upload 2.06 as soon as possible:-)

Reports on 02-05 bugs under Windows and with svgalib are
still welcome!