[linrad] Re: Linux distributions

Hi Richard,

> > I did not try Mandriva, but nobody told me that the "make svgalib" does
> > not work.
>
> Well I sorta did
Not really....

> Hi Guys,
> Installing on Mandriva 2006 kernel-2.6.12-15mdk, all the svgalibs are available as rpms,
> I had to fool ./configure by creating a directory /usr/src/svgalib/ and adding a version file.
> svgalib_helper is a module so no problems.
> just one so far no /dev/svga exists.
> Does anyone know the major and minor numbers to use mknod to create /dev/svga

You insist on doing it the hard way using an rpm that does not install
it properly. I tried to convince you that a download of source code from
svgalib.org is easier....

> Did you try to run "make svgalib" ?
> That command should be used only if you installed svgalib from source.

Maybe not loudly spoken out, but I intended to say "install from source"
If you install a package using rpm or whatever (Debian uses something else)
the person making the .rpm, .deb or whatever should supply everything necessary
to install and configure the package.  This has not been done so you are on
your own with the svgalib rpm file.

73

leif