[linrad] RE: Newcomer

> I have the following setup :
>
> Linux : 32 bits FEDORA Core 3 (the 64 bits version works fine but very
> few software can run on it)
>
> svgalib-1.9.19 compiles ok and generates 5 devices in the /dev folder :
> svga, and svga1 to svga5
> The /usr/local/lib folder contains the libvga.so.1.9.19 with 2 symbolic
> links pointing at it (libvga.so and libvga.so.1)
>
> After reboot, /dev/svga files are still there.
This is fine - but it is not the way Fedora 3 behaves when I
install it. I have used default for everything except that I have
included kernel sources.

Did you run the Linrad "make svgalib" ? That would explain it
because then the svga script Linrad has inserted in your /etc/init.d
has put the /dev/svga files in place for you during the boot procedure.

> If I try to start linrad, I get the message :
> svgalib: Cannot open /dev/svga
> Is svgalib_helper module loaded?
>
> a locate svgalib_helper give the result :
> /usr/src/svgalib/svgalib-1.9.19/kernel/svgalib_helper/svgalib_helper.ko
>
> If I try to do an insmod of that file,I get the message : -1 Unknown
> symbol in module
It seems to me you should have had an error message when compiling
svgalib_helper.

How about kernels, have you used another kernel than the default one?

> So does anybody have an idea of what I may have done wrong ?
No. I hope you will find out without too much trouble.
Once you know, please inform me, it seems to be something
I should add at this place:

http://www.sm5bsz.com/linuxdsp/install/distrib2.htm

73

Leif