RE: [linrad] RE: svgalib works only in VESA mode

http://www.trolltech.com/products/qt/opensource.html

I cannot tell you how happy I was to find Trolltech doing the "right
thing" with version 4.0.  I could never tell what it was I could or could
not do with the earlier licenses, including the "noncommercial" license
Joe mentions for the WIndows code.  It was just all too much for my
addled brain so I walked away from it mostly.  Now, we will be able to
develop cross platform, high level Gui code with a successful and
widely used development tool.  With the freeware versions of
Visual development tools

http://www.flex-radio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1196

with sharpdevelop,  we will be able to compile LINRAD into a .dll
for Windows and link it to the Qt 4.0 front end.  All open source,
paying not one dollar to Micro$oft other than what you paid for the
OS if you have a Windows machine.  The person who started this
thread (pun intended),  compiled C, C++, and C# with the sharpdevelop
code and linked it to .NET stuff which is free for download from
Micro$oft.

Linrad is a terrific piece of work.  It could be much more widely used
and much easier to use with a different interface in my opinion;  enough
so that I am willing to work on it in my usual open source way.

Now if Trolltech would just GPL the embedded tools as well I can get my
PDA and set top box to do something interesting as well.  ;-)  If they
did that, we could run Linrad in the framebuffer mode with no windowing
system involved.  It is not QPL/GPL unfortunately, even in 4.0.  Maybe
by the time they do it, we can all run Linrad in a Windowing environment
and we won't care.

Bob
N4HY