[linrad] Re: SVGALIB 2.9.19 under Debian

Le dimanche 10 avril 2005 �6:35 +0200, Ramiro Aceves a �it :

> Well, I did not have that problem cause I use a home compiled kernel ;-)
>
> The buid directory is indeed a simbolic link to the kernel source tree:
>
> build -> /usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.6
>
> As you do not have the source installed, you can not have that link.
>
> In Debian, you have the following packages:
>
> kernel-image-2.x.x
> kernel-headers-2.x.x
> kernel-doc-2.x.x
> kernel-patches-2.x.x
>
> Before trying to install a custom kernel, install the kernel-headers
> package and see if you can compile svgalib (I am not sure).
>

> #apt-get install kernel-headers-2.6.8-2-386

the apt-get install kernel-headers-2.6.8-2-386 doesn't create the
symbolic link build. So I probably need something else.

I haven't installed the other packages (kernel-image, kernel-doc nor
kernel-patches).

I tried to compile my own kernel as this was supposed to cure the
problem. As I am not used to the Debian , and to the apt-get and other
make-kpkg command, I was in need of a good tutorial.

I found it in the Debian Reference Guide (Thanks Ramiro), on chapter 7 I
could find what I needed. In fact I found 2 methods of recompiling the
kernel : The Debian standard method (Chapter 7.1.1) and the Classic
Method (Chapter 7.1.2) the classic method seems to fit the 2.4 kernel, I
won't try it.

The Debian Standard Methods ask you to install several packages using
apt-get with the following command :

apt-get install debhelper modutils kernel-package libncurses5-dev

the kernel-package leads to an error : the server cannot find the file :
/debian/pool/main/k/kernel-package/kernel-package_8.125_all.deb

I can't go any further, if the server have a missing file.

Do I need the kernel-image-2.6.x installed to complete ?

Tnx for your advice .

Very 73

Patrick