[linrad] DSP24VE audio supported in ALSA - how to configure parallel audio cards?

ALSA has made quite a bit of progress during the last few years.

Hoontech and other brands have been selling the ENVY24-based "24-bit"
96 kHz DSP24VE for quite some time. I got one in 2001, but it was not
supported by either ALSA or OSS. Later it was announced that the output
was supported, but that was not so interesting for 'Linrad' as there is
more demand for a wide-band input (in reality short of 24-bit resolution).

Today I put the Hoontech DSP24VE for the first time in a 'Linrad'-test.
It was added to the Knoppix 3.8.1 setup with SVGALIB 1.9.20 / lir01-33.

The DSP24VE was immediately recognized under 'alsaconf'.
The ENVY24 circuit is identified as "ice1712" in ALSA.

With 96 kHz sampling the input spectrum looks very clean,
much better than with the sound system of the motherboard.

I did not manage to direct 'Linrad' to the DSP24VE output.
The card has a separate AC'97 output for system sounds,
but I did not see it listed. Also I could not direct
sound to the output of the KD7A motherboard audio.

'Linrad' always sees the card that has been in 'alsaconf' last.
So, if I configure the DSP24VE with 'alsaconf', then 'Linrad'
will take DSP24 for inputs. If I configure KD7A AC'97-audio,
then 'Linrad' takes it instead. If I configure both in a row
then only the last card is acknowledged. So the question is:
how to make all installed audio-cards "visible" at the same
time. I think that Patrick had a related question recently.

            73, "Zaba"  OH1ZAA/2   [the sky is no limit]

P.S. Actually I did see the increase in CPU load, that
     Leif has mentioned (when the output sampling rate
     is unnecessarily high. e.g. equal to input: 96 kHz).
     However, in no circumstance have I heard processed
     'Linrad'-sounds yet in any of the recent setup's.