[linrad] Re: Debian

I found on google this interesting things confirming what we have seen:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2004/01/msg01559.html

**************
> > Will I be able to use d-i on my notebook?  It's a 486/100 with
> > 24 MB RAM and 340 MB disk.  No CD-ROM, but floppy drive and a
> > PCMCIA ethernet card.  Screen about 30 cm.  Woody ran fine.
>
> Not unless you feel comfortable with setting up a swap partition
> manually as soon as the installer boots, in a shell. We currently lack a
> utility to do this automatic early enough to support less than 32 mb of

By the way, I confirm that beta-2 fails on 24Mb systems......tested in
the same conditions Joey did (VmWare) with the same result..:-)
***************

********************
Quoting Erik Andersen (andersen@xxxxxxxxxxxx):

> > By the way, I confirm that beta-2 fails on 24Mb systems......tested in
> > the same conditions Joey did (VmWare) with the same result..:-)
>
> And idea _where_ it fails?  i.e. Did you notice if any

While unpacking installer components after retrieving them, as far as
I can see.

************************

Another useful link, but for another architecture:

http://www.cyrius.com/debian/cobalt/lowmem.html

An extract from there:

Installing Debian on Cobalt machines with little memory

Debian's installer requires 36 MB of memory in normal operation on MIPS based Cobalt machines. If your machine has less memory, you can still install Debian but the method may be different. Debian's installer supports a lowmem mode in which less functionality is available (and therefore the installer requires less memory). If you do not have enough memory for the lowmem mode, you can manually install a tar ball.

The following four different methods are available, depending on the amount of memory your Cobalt machine has:

1. 36 MB or more: you can follow the normal installation procedure described in my guide. 2. 25-35 MB: with this amount of RAM, Debian's installer will automatically enter lowmem level 1. Apart from a warning, you will see little differences to the normal installation procedure. 3. 22-24 MB: Debian's installer will run in lowmem level 2. You can mostly follow the normal installation procedure but you have to manually choose some installer modules as described below. 4. 21 MB or less: you won't be able to use Debian's installer but you can manually install Debian from a tar ball.

We are on the "3-" case  :-)

Hope it helps.
Ramiro.