[linrad] Re: WOW!

> I discovered that I was using a very old version of Linrad, so I made the
> decision to start over from scratch. I attempted to install linrad 01-33,
> and it would not install because it could not find svgalib.
This seems very odd to me. Since the old version could find svgalib,
the new one should be equally sucessful. I am not aware of any changes
I might have done that would not be fully backwards compatible.

You say "start over from scratch". What do you mean by that?

Installing a new version is done by downloading lirxx-yy.tbz, then
unpacking it with bunzip2 and tar (or tar only if you have a modern one)
Finally copy the files from the newly created directory on top of your
old installation, type ./configure then make.

> SO, using the
> instructions from your page I deleted svgalib and reinstalled it. That
> appeared to work.
There are several versions of svgalib and they behave differently.

> Then I chose a different directory than the
> old version
> of Linrad, and installed Linrad 01-33.  That also appeared to go
> well until
> the last line in the make command, and it said: can not locate
> lvgagl, and
> of course, there was no executable file created.  I went to root and did
> locate lvgagl, and it says there is no such file. I went through this
> exercise twice with the same results, and now I am stumped again.
> Please a suggestion.
Presumably it could not locate libvgagl.
(the other alternative is that it did not find vgagl.h)
Repeat and be more precise on the error message if this
mail does not help.

Every time you change your system by installing a different sound system
or by changing the svgalib version or adding user defined files you
should run the configure script to get new header files that include things
from the appropriate places where they reside in the changed system.
Now, that is not the problem this time. I think you have installed
svgalib-1.4.3 but failed to do the last step, copy libvgagl.so.1.4.3
to libvgagl.so.1 under the default library where your Linux distribution
will look for runtime libraries.

You had it at the correct place before you re-installed svgalib but the
svgalib install erases old files so you do not have it any more.
The problem is specific to svgalib-1.4.3 and with svgalib-1.9.xx the
libvgagl.so.xx file becomes correctly installed by default. Instead there
are some things to worry about with the svgalib_helper module.

I suggest you first type updatedb, then locate xxxxxxxxx (the file
that the error message complains about) Probably the error is
can not locate libvgagl.so.1 and the locate will show you where
libvgagl.so.1.4.3 is located. Just rename this file to libvgagl.so.1
or make a copy of it with the correct name under the same directory.

The next problem will be libvga.so.1 and it is solved the same way:-)

These errors do not occur while the make command is executed but
when an attempt to start Linrad is tried.