[linrad] Re: Linux Strikes Again

Hello Mike,

You just made the same mistake as I often do after a longer break:
It is 'knoppix-installer' [NOT 'knoppix-install']. I generally wake
up after getting the error report. If you have already the # prompt
at the start of the line, then you are already super-user, and thus
you don't need any of the 'su' or 'sudo' commands: #knoppix-installer

Regarding Linux/Windows I have the observation that the reason for
a virtually smoother "Windows User Interface" during SW-installs is
that the average user can do absolutely nothing with a Windows-file
if the install fails. Therefore it is useless to publish any buggy
Win-stuff, if there is no way to proceed. For example WSJT will tell
you that there is a missing *.ini file when you start it first time
after install, but it will build the default file at the very moment,
and the next time you start the application everything runs smoothly.
This is due to the professional dedication of Joe/K1JT. There is just
no way to do things in Linux-style in the Windows environment.

Like Leif pointed out, we would not have any 'Linrad' at all to play
with if it were not for Linux instead of DOS. And therefore most of
us have to put ourselves initially into "mini-developer" schooling.

Roger/W3SZ has now probably frozen the Live_CD at this stage with the
given features. I just downloaded the linradknoppix-2005-5-15.iso ...
but I failed the burn-process (in Windows!!) despite buffer underrun
protection. I will do a HD-install after I get the CDR "physical".

Next I will edit my notes for the needed config-changes. Actually
indexing of former email contents is an issue, as these changes
have been described by Roger/W3SZ and others already a few times
before on this [linrad] reflector. One optimization of this process
would be that the time normally spent on repeating information would
preferably be used for the construction of real 'Linrad' equipment.

                                 73, "Zaba"  OH1ZAA/2