From: <leif@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, August 06, 2005 1:12 AM
Subject: [linrad] SDR-14

Hi All,

Linrad 2.00 will have support for the SDR-14. (Flexradio)

This is a unit that samples at 66 MHz and uses a digital
decimation chip to convert to baseband. The unit can be
used from (almost) up to 200 MHz with appropriate anti-aliasing
filters. One filter is builtin for usage on HF bands.
Performance is limited by the USB interface but something
like 185 kHz bandwidth can be used.

Currently a driver is available for the 2.4.xx kernels
only and I have run into some difficulties because of that.

Only the most recent 2.4 kernels have USB systems that work
with my stationary computer. Good old RedHat 9.0 does not
work although it does on my laptop. Working on the laptop
is inconvenient so I am trying to get something to work
on the stationary computer.

I have tried Fedora 1, Slackware 10.1 and Debian net install.

1) Fedora nearly works, but I can not exit from the main screen
because then the program crashes with a segfault. I have to
change parameters with the text editor in the parameter files.
This seems to be a kernel problem.

2) Slackware works fine with Linrad, but I can not make it work
properly with my Swedish keyboard (sv. Latin 1) so editing
source code files is difficult.
Another problem with Slackware is that I can not figure out
how to get svgalib_helper and the ft245 kernel modules loaded
automatically at boot time. Slackware does not use the /etc/init.d
that I am used to.

3) Debian works fine except that I can not get the mouse installed.
Originally the mouse was ok, but I needed to add some packages
to the default selection and then the mouse was removed. I have
not been able to re-install it. Any attempt I made just downloads
a lot of stuff for maybe 6 hours, but no mouse:-(

4) RedHat 9.0 does not work at all with the SDR-14.

The executable produced under Fedora 1 works fine under Slackware.

Solving 1) seems difficult, 2) and 3) should be trivial - I just do
not know what to do:-( It might also be fairly easy to update
the USB system of RedHat9.0 ??

Is there anyone who knows what to do?

To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to
<linrad-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>