[linrad] Re: Knoppix 4.01...LDE

Hello, I do not know if it is a typo, but you should write:

alias snd-card-0 snd-ice1217
options snd-ice1217 index=0
alias snd-card-1 snd-intel8x0
options snd-card-1 index=1
                         ^
-------------------------|
Note the "index=1" instead of "index=0".

Modify only the "/etc/modprobe.d/sound". Do not touch the "alsa-base"
file. Do not put the same things on two files at the same time.
After done that, run "alsamixer" program, it should load sound modules
automagically. You do not need the alsaconf program (I believe, it will
mess everything)
If alsamixer does not autoload the modules, you can try to "modprobe"
them. You can even  write your own /etc/modules file in which you can
include the modules you want to be loaded at boot time.

> At some point early on in the process, many, many boots ago, i performed
> a  'modprobe snd-intel8x0' command from the command prompt.  I don't
> know  enough about Linux to know whether that did or did not make a
> permanent  installation of the driver module somewhere, or whether it
> just did  something that was lost with the next boot.  I just mention it
> here in  case it did something permanent, as in case that was an
> important step.

No. The modprobe command just loads the driver into memory,it does not
do any permanent changes.

> Also, I have not gone back and removed the added statements [detailed
> above] from the files 'alsa-base' and 'sound' to see if they are [in
> total  or in part] really necessary, and have no plans to do so. ;)

It would be a good experiment. ;-)

Do not take my notes literally, because they are for a pure Debian
install. I do not know anything about the knoppix autoconfiguring and
auto-everything. :-)

> Have a great day, and
>
> 73,
>
> Roger